Part Fifty Four

Chapter Fifty Four

Max was a great bloke, and he was far more effective at any task in the house than she was, as she looked in the mirror Nina could admit that. But it was so bloody infuriating that he was there at Theo's command, that he was exerting control over her life...again!

She looked at her phone; he hadn't replied to the fifteen or more texts that she'd sent him since he'd left the house this morning. Until twenty minutes ago.

"Whether you want to believe it or not, I worry about you. Max will help. Sorry if it seemed forced. You don't tend to listen to my reasoning...neither of us is very good at that. Something I'm going to work hard on. We need to talk, and we'll do it soon. Promise. Call me when you don't hate me anymore."

She was furious as she re read it; he was throwing the responsibility back into her court, so she had to now arrange for them to meet up. If she didn't he'd throw it back against her. She couldn't win.

When her phone rang, she picked it up without looking at the screen and snapped, "ye-llo."

Lilah's laugh came through the handset, "what's eating you girlfriend? Haven't heard that greeting since the late nineties."

Nina couldn't help but smile at that, "what the hell have I done Lilah? I'm having a baby with the devil. Can I call him Lucifer?"

Lilah groaned, "what about Beelzebub? That goes with Peterson doesn't it?" When Nina smiled, Lilah offered, "tell me what's happened."

So she did, in detail.

"Nee-Naw, he's looking out for you, that can't be a bad thing, don't be too angry. Relax, cos for the next few months you are going to need his help, sometimes even just to fasten your shoes. You are independent and a loner no more."

She closed her eyes for a moment, "you are meant to be making me feel better."

"And I am not the person to lie to you. He's going to be around you forever, he's no more annoying than he ever has been. You have to just take a deep breath and ignore things. Ok?"

"But..."

Lilah cut her off, "honestly Nee-Naw, you don't need the stress. Get some bath bombs, some essential oils and pretend he isn't around."

"When are you coming home Lilah? I need you."

Her friend sighed, "soon, this timing is bad. But I'll be home in a few weeks, I promise."

Max was a lifeline, the following morning he returned and walked her through the house, pointing out a dozen things that she'd missed, exposed pipes, loose tiles...things that she could easily sort out before they became a big problem. Then he stayed around and talked to all the contractors with her, asking questions that she'd never have thought to ask.

By the time she moved to bed that night she was happier. She had a plan.

"Is Max working out ok?"

She didn't want to reply, not whilst she was so angry, but Max had been a great help. After sighing, and moaning to herself she finally managed a response.

"He's not as controlling as you."

She could imagine him laughing at that, but she wasn't in the mood for laughter.