Part Nine

Chapter Nine

Downstairs she found the two men at the kitchen table eating croissants. Nina felt ruffled that this man was so at home eating the food she'd bought without a second glance. But Mansell looked happy, she wasn't about to upset him. She had been brought up to be the consummate professional, the perfect young lady, the epitome of poise and elegance. She didn't live like that, ever, but the mask was a readily available part of her persona, and it wasn't the first time that she slid it on, the ability to hide her feelings was an essential part of her world, she could hone her inner diva. She could stay in control.

"You ok Mansell? Sleep well?" She asked the queen of congeniality.

He nodded giving her a huge grin, "great thanks. You?"

She gave a shrug in response, he didn't need to know that she had tossed and turned all night then been up at six am. The adrenaline, the anger, the fury had all beaten her, and the only option had been to go for a run, which didn't help. "Not bad. Was thinking you guys don't need me today. So I'm going to go see some family maybe."

Mansell dropped his knife, "of course you're coming, this is all thanks to you!"

Nina was pleased to see that the grandson looked as awkward at the thought as she did, "but you've got your grandson now..."

"I don't know where the house is, neither does Theo...you'll have to come." He gave her a dazzling smile, "we should leave early. I'll go get ready."

Left alone Nina walked out to the kitchen and filled a mug with coffee, then searched for something to eat, all the croissants were gone, so she grabbed an apple and was attacking that when the man she now knew was called Theo appeared carrying the dirty dishes. Leaning against the counter she watched him run water at the sink and start to wash the plates. She wasn't about to strike up conversation the hatred between them was palpable, she despised him for the way he treated or rather DIDN'T treat his grandfather primarily, though his frosty attitude towards her was more than annoying. He seemed to hold her in a similar regard. Yet they barely knew each other. Nina chuckled to herself; Lilah always told her she was someone who put a lot into first impressions.

Rather than deal with her, discuss things, he disappeared once the dishes were washed and that meant that Nina could scoff like a pig in private...she was starving but was too proud to attack the fridge in the presence of a stranger.

Half an hour later she was leaning against the bonnet of her beloved Beetle, face upturned to the warmth of the summer day when she heard a voice cut through the serenity.

"We are not travelling in THAT!"

With a sigh, but inside a little jolt of pleasure at the impending battle, she straightened up and faced the two men with a fixed solemn stare.

Stepping away from the car she glared at the approaching man, "excuse me? HE doesn't want to transport you either." As she said it she patted the bonnet affectionately. "Get over it."

Mansell shook his head, "you two! Can't we all get along?"

That caused Nina's head to flick up and glare at the older man and the mask dropped, "he's rude, inconsiderate and childish...I told you in the kitchen you two should just do your thing."

"Great," Theo gave a false grin, "my car's over here..."

He made for the black sporty saloon car that was parked across the driveway. Seeing red, Nina turned and stormed towards the house, but Mansell held up a hand, "guys, please! Nina knows the way...and if she wants to take her car...that's what we do. Theo, she's right, get over it."