Part Thirty Seven

Chapter Thirty Eight

Lilah was sunning it up in Cyprus, Theo was busy working and sorting out his new living arrangements. Without any outstanding commissions, Nina found herself sat at home watching the rain run down the window panes, and groaned, she'd never been lonely in her life before, but suddenly she was. So she set off to visit Mansell, he'd appreciate her company, and maybe stop her from going insane. And on the flipside she might stop him from going mad too.

He was sat outside under a veranda, it was a cold and wet day, but there were a few chairs set out overlooking the sea view. He smiled as she approached, "Nina! How great to see you!"

"You look a little more chipper than the last time I saw you!"

He grinned, "and I hear that is due to you...that it was your idea."

She looked at him quizzically, "me?"

"I'm moving to London tomorrow. To live with Theo and Melody, he told me you suggested that."

She shook her head, "no, I told him that he and Daniel needed to pull their fingers out and start looking after you. That's all." She accompanied the words with an elaborate wink, and that made him laugh out loud.

"Ahh, a woman's gentle pressure?"

Nina sat beside him and laughed too, "something like that. So are you excited?"

He nodded, "I haven't been to London in ages...I want to try and go to the National History museum, not sure I'll manage it, but just being back in the City will make me happy." He looked out over the sea at a ship chugging along on the horizon, "I know that I'm going because I can't live alone..."

She covered a hand with hers and gave it a squeeze, "don't beat yourself up over THAT. You've given those boys everything, from what I can see, it's about time they gave something back."

"They've got someone to look after me, from an agency. I think they think I can't wipe my own backside!"

"They want you to be safe...that's all, and with them working they need to know you're safe, and looked after. Maybe you'll have to swallow a little of that pride of yours old man."

He pulled himself to his feet, "I suppose that's true. Now I have to go change, did I tell you Hélène is coming to visit? My granddaughter..." he stumbled over the words, then looked up with a sad smile, "she's bringing her to see me."

"Wow, that'll be amazing."

He nodded, "it's a long time since I saw her...though I don't know what she'll make of this." He threw his less active arm out in front of him and she sighed.

"She loves YOU; she won't care if you've got NO arms, ok?"

He sighed, "this bloody happens JUST when I'm starting to get to know her again."

"Well, you can't help that, but think how much more appealing visiting you in London will be compared to Brighton; it's so much easier to get to."

That made him smile, "you'll visit me too? Not just Theo?"

Grinning she patted him on the back, "you try keeping me away!"

As she was leaving the centre, a black cab pulled up almost in front of her, and out stepped the regal looking Hélène, and her face broke into a smile, "how wonderful to see you again Nina. You look well."