Part Forty Eight

Chapter Forty Eight

"You were supposed to sort this out bro, not make it a million times worse."

Daniel tossed him a bag of frozen peas for him to place on his shiner, Nina had caught his eye a treat with her slap and now his brother was giving him a hard time. He didn't need more hassle; he was already reeling at how awful he'd handled dealing with Nina.

"Don't start on me Dan. It's been a hell of a day."

Daniel opened two beers and slid one along the counter to Theo, "true. But the only reason I came from the hospital to babysit my niece was so that you would make it good with Nina. You need her."

He shook his head, "she doesn't want to know."

"Then make her understand."

Theo turned to him, "you didn't hear her, it doesn't matter what I say, she hates me."

He took a long slug of his beer before replying, "you told me yourself that you were out of order. YOU need to grovel."

Groaning he ran a hand through his hair, "I wrote her a letter Dan, a long heartfelt letter. Once I calmed down processed things then I realised I'd been rash. I told her I was wrong, that it was my fault. But that wasn't enough."

Daniel raised a hand to silence him, "you WROTE her a LETTER? What the fuck is wrong with you? We live in a digital world, SMS, email, messenger...I don't know. Anything but a bloody letter. Do you even know if she got it?"

He shrugged, "I hand delivered it. So I know it got to the house."

"And that's it. You give up."

Theo sighed, "it's what she wants. Gives her chance to spend more time with bloody Gabriel."

Daniel marched across the kitchen to him, "jealousy? That's what this is about?"

Slamming his fist on the counter he shouted back, "I'm not jealous! I'm just pissed off that yet another woman sucks me in, chews me up, then spits me out like a piece of used gum...before moving on to a younger version."

Daniel laughed, "when did you become such a self centred prick? That girl worshipped you, if she's moved on it's because of you, she's not looking for someone else, you've pushed her away." He drained his beer then reached for his coat, "you are going to be a lonely old man if you don't get past what Sadie did to you, stop being the avenged. Maybe you need to realise that life isn't all about controlling everything and start doing right by the people in your life. Starting with your little girl."

Nina had managed to avoid all of Mansell's family, she wasn't interested in Theo and Gabriel's petty arguments, and she had no intention of seeing Theo ever again. His words still hurt. But she did manage to get to visit Mansell once more.

There wasn't any change and she feared the worst. So quietly sat beside him she said her goodbyes, she couldn't hang around this family anymore, but she wanted him to know that he'd be in her thoughts always. As she left the room, she crumpled against the wall, tears coursing down her cheeks.

"Are you ok?"

Looking up she saw the sympathetic face of Daniel observing her. She didn't want to talk to him either. So she shrugged, "I'm heading back to Brighton...I kind of just said goodbye..."

He sighed, "it's not looking like he's going to get better is it?"

"I hope you're wrong, but I don't think I'll be spending time with him again."