Part Forty Four

A/N  Sorry at the delay, a chaotic time on all fronts, plus struggling to get this crossroads in the story right. Hope you enjoy, it's a stressful chapter and I'm waiting for the shouts and screams at all that it throws up.

Thanks for reading, Mz

Chapter Forty Four

"I'll put Melody to bed, honestly, you have other arrangements, honestly, it's ok. And I assure you I'll kill him tomorrow."

It was dark and Daniel was pacing nervously as he had places to be, that much was obvious. Theo wasn't answering calls, from her or his own brother. Daniel shook his head, "this isn't your bad Nina. You don't have to cover this."

She nodded, "I know, but I want to hang around until he gets back, I've got no other agenda...I promise. You go what you have to."

He studied her for a moment, then nodded, "if you're sure...I hope my little brother appreciates what a star he has in you!"

Smiling she made for the lounge and Melody, "Uncle Dan's going, are you happy to hang out with me?"

Melody grinned, "can we play hairdresser?"

Nina eyeballed the bag of hair ties and glitter that sat in the corner of the room, "of course."

"Less of the grimacing!" Daniel exclaimed as he burst into laughter from the doorway. "Rather you than me, I owe you one."

She nodded, "you're right about that."

Half an hour later she was sat cross legged on the floor of the lounge, her hair gathered into maybe fifteen small bunches, each tied with a rainbow coloured bow, and she had coloured glitter painted onto each of them. It may take a dozen washes to get it all out, but she didn't care. She was a lovely girl and it was nice spending time with her. In the back of her head she worried that Theo wasn't answering his phone, after all she'd been back at the house for hours and Daniel had felt sure that he'd back a lot earlier.

Picking up her phone she tried him once more...

"...This is Theo Peterson; I can't take this call, but please leave a message..."

She'd refrained from leaving a message to date, but now she had to.

"Theo, it's me. I'm not sure where you are...Daniel's had to go home, so I'm here with Melody. I...er...I'm going to put her to bed, hope you're home soon, she's missing you..." She wanted to say more, that she was worried, that SHE missed him. But she was scared, this seemed out of character for him, and it was making her feel a little uneasy.

"Right little lady, time for us to get you ready for bed. I don't know where everything is, so will you help me?"

Laughing she nodded, "I know..."

And with that she strode out into the hallway.

As they reached the top of the stairs, she heard a sound behind them, and looking down to the hallway she was shocked to see Theo almost fall through the front door, he was drunk...very drunk. She knew that it was the last thing that Melody needed to see, so as he looked up and met her eyes, she shook her head and gestured towards the lounge with her head. Then she followed Melody to the bathroom.

Twenty minutes later after three read of the Gruffalo, Melody was asleep, her cute face angelic in sleep. Standing at the door, she smiled at the little girl before turning and heading down to the worse for wear father.