Part Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

"You're wearing that? For your big date?"

Nina dropped the towel she was using to dry hair and looked at the polka dot skater dress that was spread out on her bed. As outfits went for her, it was definitely in the 'Going for tea' category. It was new, it almost conformed and she knew that it suited her figure.

Turning indignantly to her friend she snapped, "it's new...hell Lilah; it's a DRESS FFS, what's wrong with that? I thought you'd be pleased."

Lilah pointed at her, "clearly the dress cuts it, I'm quite stunned that you've actually done THAT well...it's the underwear that I'm talking about."

Nina looked in the mirror; she was wearing her favourite bra, black satin, supportive, but rather old and worn, with purple cotton boy shorts. Mismatched, unassuming. She'd like to say that it was coincidence that her prettiest, most glamorous sets of underwear were in the wash, but that wasn't a factor. She had no intention of showing her underwear to Theo Peterson that night, the worn, mismatched versions just added security to that.

Lilah was wise to her shaking her head, "you're that scared of him?"

Nina laughed, "I wouldn't say I was scared..." She teased her dark spikes with her hands into the typical scruffy style she favoured, then reached for the dress, "I'm just taking insurance, I'm not about to roll over for him."

"How you going to get home if it's late?"

"The trains run until the early hours, don't worry Mum."

Tossing her a bunch of keys she sighed, "I worry about you, there's nothing wrong with that. Have Amelia's keys, just in case you need them, she's in Milan."

Nina pocketed them with a sigh, "that'll mean I won't be home until tomorrow then?"

Lilah laughed, "like there was EVER a doubt."

Nina grabbed her bag, then made for the door. I'll see you when I see you."

Back in her home she hadn't been nervous, apprehensive maybe, and it had been easy to hide that from her friend. But that bravado had more than deserted her as she stood outside Pimlico tube station in the early part of rush hour. People streamed past her, all with a deliberate sense of purpose, all with an agenda. She wasn't intimidated by the hectic nature of the city, she'd been brought up there, but waiting for a man under slightly unnerving circumstances made her ultra aware of the anonymous nature of the place. She wasn't worried that something would happen to her, not in an unsafe or at danger way, but there was a definite threat to her sanity, Theo represented that and she was terrified of losing her outlook on life, far more worrying than her personal safety.

It was only when the huge truck pulled up in front of her that she spotted Theo at the wheel, and the beaming Melody waving from the back seat to her, that she realised she relaxed slightly. The truck slowed and she moved across the pavement and slid into the front seat.

Melody giggled excitedly telling her all about her day, and it wasn't until they'd been in the car for a few minutes that Theo murmured, "I didn't know whether you'd come," under his breath.

She hadn't looked at him since she'd got in the car, but she had to peep up at him after that, but his eyes were focussed on the road ahead. His voice made her sink deeper into the seat, it did strange things to her insides, "me too." She finally mustered an answer.

As they slowed at lights, she could feel Theo's eyes on her, and when she finally looked his way he was studying her, meeting her eyes he smiled, "glad you did."

The hustle and bustle of the heart of the political city disappeared when he turned into an underground garage. Theo retrieved his bags, and of course his daughter from the back seat of the truck. Holding up a bag from a well known Deli, he grimaced, "sorry but I've been SO busy."