catching up

star

I walk up to the Thinking Hill (which I named, because Marco and I always go up there to talk about everything), but Marco isn't around anywhere.

I've looked everywhere. Where could he be?

I open up a portal to my room with my dimensional scissors and step in.

Once I'm in my room, I notice Marco sitting on the edge of my bed, as if he's waiting for me, although the lights are off.

I cautiously walk over, curious.

"... Marco?"

He turns around, startled. "Oh, Star. You scared me."

I smile and sit down next to him, slouching slightly.

Only silence rings around the room for a minute.

"What're you doing here, all alone in the dark, on the edge of the bed, staring into space, losing yourself in a spiral of thoughts - "

I catch him lift an eyebrow, staring at me warily.

"Sorry. Just blurting out things."

"Heh. Well, you're right. I was thinking about all the stuff that's been going on."

"It's tough, isn't it? I mean, a bunch of these crazy things, happening at once... All of this is caused by me. And... You're the victim here."

"What? No! Star, you're not a criminal."

"Marco, I never said I was," I point out, smirking.

"... I - I..."

It's quiet again. As we sit next to each other, the only sounds audible are the noises of our breathing.

I fidget with the bedsheets until I finally realise why I was looking for him in the first place.

"Oh, Marc - "

"Hey Sta - "

We lift our eyebrows and look into each other's eyes.

A small smile plays on his lips.

Marco points at himself warily and I nod, understanding that he wants to speak first.

He takes a deep breath and sighs, looking down.

"So... Star? You know you've been... Well? Kinda quiet these days. I'm sure you know this."

I shrink slightly and puff my cheeks out, filling them with air.

"And... We need to talk about this. It's not like we can stay silent forever."

He turns to me, and touches my arm gently.

"It's just - I really need this to stop. I won't be able to take it if this continues - I need to talk to you to... to... keep moving. Yeah, keep moving."

He looks away and his hands become warmer.

Or is it my arm that's heating up?

"I know. I need to talk to you, too. It's just - things've been really complicated these days, and I... I'm sorry. I don't want you to feel, like, ignored, or anything."

He smiles and looks up at me again.

"Yeah."

I'm almost stuck in his gaze for a while, before I finally snap out of it.

"Marco, I want to tell you something."

He lets go of his arm and waits, patiently.

I can't bring myself to say this, and all, but...