the Pervolonian process

star

I open my eyes, and frantically sit up.

Where am I?

I look around. It's pretty dark, but I can make out a few things.

I'm sitting on the edge of a huge, long, table, and there's a seat all the way across at the other end.

And finally, I know where I am.

Ludo's castle.

marco

I observe Star carefully as she lies on the bed. It took me a while to move her up, but I managed it anyway.

Her chest rises and falls while I examine her new wings.

They're much bigger now, still the same shade of purple, but it gives off a whole new aura.

A new layer has grown, and her wings have some kind of swirly pattern now. They look nice.

I nervously look at her face.

Completely knocked out.

It's been ten minutes since she's collapsed, and I'm starting to feel very nervous.

At least I know she's still breathing... But who knows what's going on in her mind right now?

She's Mewman, I don't know anything about Mewmans growing bigger wings and fainting.

She could be fighting a war with some kind of conscience monster of some sort, she could be dead inside, but on the outside, she's alive, she could even be -

BUZZ.

I let out a high-pitched scream that I never knew I was capable of, and jump onto Star's bed and duck under the sheets.

The buzzing continues for a while.

I finally find the courage to lift myself up.

I pat Star's forehead gently as an attempt to wake her, but it doesn't work. I get on my feet and look around the room.

The buzzing appears to be coming from her mirror.

Of course, Diaz. Of course. How could be scared of a mirror?

Scared? Who's scared? I'm not. I'm a red belt in karate.

I stop fighting myself and check the mirror.

INCOMING CALL FROM MOM

Oh gosh... What do I say?

I pick up anyway, I've put the Queen on hold for too long.

I hit ANSWER CALL and the Queen's face immediately pops up.

"... Marco?"

"Hey Queen."

"... And Star is... ?"

"Oh! She, uh, she passed out earlier. Twelve minutes, to be exact."

"WHAT?"

She looks around Star's room frantically, searching for her.

"Relax, relax! She's lying in bed. And still breathing."

"Marco... What exactly happened?"

I clear my throat.

"Uh... Star and I were... JUST TALKING. About Glossaryck. Yes. Then a bunch of weird hearts popped up," I say, pointing to my face."

"And they were glowing. Her whole face was lit up. She looked like that monster from the Dimension of Glowblins we saw a few days ago - "

"Ahem." She cleared her throat dryly.