lost

star

Mom gasps as she stares at my wings, shocked. Dad drops the Mewnian invisible goat steak he was eating.

A long silence passes by and Dad finally clears his throat.

"Star, we're so glad you're awake. We were worried," he says, frowning.

"Yeah, I was knocked out for a little while. Look at my wings!"

I turn around and leap up, in an attempt to fly. I can't control my wings, not even a bit. Then I land face first on the ground.

I hear three gasps at once and Marco quickly grabs my hands to pull me up.

"What? Mom, they don't work!"

"Oh, sure, always ask Mommy for help while Daddy just watches everything silently."

He then walks out of the frame, mumbling something under his breath.

Marco and I raise eyebrows at each other. "Dad!"

"Dad," I hear, in a sing-song voice. He was mimicking me.

I roll my eyes, exasperated.

"What's wrong with him?"

"Don't mind him Star, he's just going through a phase. He said it was 'unfair' that us females get to have wings while all the males can do is 'trudge around.'"

"Anyway, Star, how are your wings? Are they uncomfortable? Do they still hurt? What do you feel when you try to fly?"

I open my eyes wide, trying to take in all of her questions at once.

"They feel funny, yes, no, and nothing at all."

Mom sighs and looks at the floor. She looks so troubled.

"Star... There's something I need to tell you."

I raise my brows at her.

"Huh?"

"... You know that day you got evaluated?"

I nod.

"Well... Baby told me that you have a power greater than I did, when I was your age."

I blush. "What? So, I'm like, stronger, and more advanced, because, because I dipped down earlier than you did? Pffft."

"Yes Star, but the point is - "

"You hear that, Marco Diaz? I'm more skilled."

"Star, yes, however - "

"I mean, I knew that. From the start. I felt like I - "

"STAR BUTTERFLY! BABY TOLD ME SHE HASN'T SEEN THIS LEVEL OF MAGIC SINCE QUEEN ECLIPSA!"

What?

I open my mouth to speak, but no sound comes out. Did I just hear 'Queen Eclipsa'?

The room instantly swirls around my head, in circles.

I shuffle back, trying to balance my weight.

"...Star?"

"Yes, Marco, I'm okay." I wasn't gonna pass out again.

He steadies me and keeps me still.

"Mom... is that... is that true?"

She tries to look unconcerned about it, but her heavy frown gives it away.

"Star, it doesn't matter, actually. There isn't a chance you'd become like Queen Eclipsa. At all."

I know she's reassuring herself more than she's doing so to me.