wings

star

Marco walks into my room.

I'm on my bed, still thinking about Glossaryck...

Why? Why'd he reject me? I tried to save him. I thought he needed saving.

I thought he wanted saving.

Marco interrupts my thoughts.

"Star?"

I look his way, not even bothering to lift my sullen expression.

"I can't believe you're still here. You can't mope around all day."

Another pep talk? This is the fifth one in two hours.

"Marco, leave me alone. Just for a while. I need to think, and for me to think, you have give me space to think. Okay?"

"Star. That's literally what you've been telling me over and over and over."

"Well, same goes for you. You've told me to cheer up five times already."

He raises his eyebrows, and looks to the side.

"And you were counting that?"

Ugh.

I groan, frustrated. Can't he just leave me be? Why must he be so annoying all the time?

I turn my head away from him and bury my face into the pillow.

I kick my legs against the bedsheets, my screaming muffled.

Glossaryck must be out there somewhere, in a cave, sitting on the ground.

Digging through a bag of chips and looking for the perfect one, or gulping down a tub of chocolate pudding, in flavor heaven.

I hear Marco sigh and he walks over to my bed, and sits at the edge of my feet.

"Star, listen. Glossaryck... He's with Ludo now. You can't just hold on to him forever. Good riddance... I never liked him anyway."

I shut my eyes tight.

"Maybe this is for the best, Star."

"That's not helping, Diaz."

I know he's looking over.

"You know much he means to me, and it's not just me he's important to. He's taught all of us, every Mewman queen to have ever been, everyone he's ever taught, and... the things he knows about our history..."

Marco stays quiet the whole while. I lift my head and take a look at him.

"And I lose him. To Ludo, to make things worse. Who knows what Glossaryck might do next, since he's already betrayed me. What if he opens up to Ludo? He told me he was his new master."

"All the spells in the book, so much harm Ludo could do... and the first thing he will do is take over Mewni."

I ball my fists up.

"I ruin everything. I'm hopeless, I'm useless, I don't deserve to be the future que - "

"Star."

"What, Marco? It's not like this isn't true. I am a complete failure. My parents didn't raise me like this."

He lets out another sigh and he crawls up the bed to where I am. Both of us have our stomachs facing down.

He puts a hand on my shoulder, and gives me one of his smiles that curve up to one side.

"Star, no matter what horrible thing you say about yourself, I couldn't care less. What matters is that I won't think of you that way."

I give him a slight smile.