The Sacrifice/The Witches' Mass

The grass was comfortably itchy, and it took me a while to feel some shred of emotion as I dragged my way up from the ground, looking to the right of me, then the left, and finally settling onto a paper sign crudely taped onto a tree-looking thing in the distance. 

"Veneficas, Missa ritualis Hac circumagi solis exortus Abigail Williams. Venite, et omnes qui adorant eum constitutioni venerit in secunda vigilia, omnes nos a te ne Caesari!"

Now, I used to be a witch, and the only emperor I could remember was Emperor Trump--frankly, he was indeed stupid, but having a coven of angry witches resurrect Abigail Williams to bind him and all those who abetted him? In the name of what? Satan? Like he was going to help them in any way without some Leonine Contract requiring shit like goat blood or a carrot doused in baby oil. 

"Ave Maria, gratia plena ... sanctificetur nomen tuum, adveniat regnum tuum, fiat voluntas tua, sicut in cælo et in terra ...what the hell are they hoping to actually do with their midnight ride? Where am I, anyway? Riverdale? Salem? Hell, even? They say it's misinterpreted as other people...so...hmmmm...I best look around. Here's to hoping the local priests don't feed me a witch cake at all...those ingredients do not go well together. They just don't..."

Suddenly, I looked around. He wasn't there anymore--and my cross was burning like hell.

The stars, one by one, seemed to fall from the sky--where on Earth was I? This whole thing seemed like one of those alternate future deals where if this hadn't happened and this hadn't happened and this hadn't happened and...

"I'm a witch. A horrible thing--why do you still care?! Why?!"  

"BeCaUsE YoU sTiLL CaRe, tHat's wHy. I HeArD yOu cALL Me A SpAcE HeAtiNg ToAsTeR oVEn...AReN't YoU JuSt UpSet?"

"I hate to admit it, but yes. A little bit. Upset and dizzy, but mostly upset. Why?"

"I JuSt WaNt To TaLK. I wAnT tO hElp YoU BoTh. KnEEL aT mY FeEt, AnD PrAy, mY LiTTLe EmoTional One."

My heart seemed to skip a beat or two as I asked myself whether giving up was a good idea--hell, it was at least a lot better than joining the coven of weirdos raising the dead.

My only issue was...did he know if I was into it or just an antsy fraidy cat like everyone else?