Chapter Twenty Nine: Only Human

A/n: The real ending is near. Don't forget to vote and comment, okay? The song above is from my most precious Japanese Drama that actually influenced me how I see life and why I ventured in writing something beautiful as her story. I hope I was able to actually pull it off. I always wanted to write a medical drama since I watched One Liter of Tears.

....

Furukawa Hikari POV

When we finally reached his room, a male nurse helped me return him on his bed. He's unconscious and very much tired already. I was surprised by his very light weight when the nurse carried him. He's too thin already.

Tears flowed my eyes as my worries surrounded me again. I have to rest, too. I'm glad that I was able to ease his mind even through the misery he's in.

Before I leave his side that time, I do think he was finally able to sleep with joy in his heart. He had been sleeping in pain for days and I can't bear seeing him like that already. I quickly went outside his room silently and that's when I saw Yamato Kento outside, sitting on a white chair near Kousei's room. I could totally see that he's crying. I stood in front of him and when he saw me, he quickly stood up and bowed to me.

I smiled at him. "You seem to have grown close to Kousei."

"He's... He's a good child, madam. He's not like the other rich kids I used to protect. He's gentle and kind, mostly with his girlfriend. When he needs to get angry, he gets angry to protect those people he cares about and to me, he treated me as a friend. He never treated me badly or talked to me badly. Seeing young master suffer makes my heart in pain at the same time," he told me.

...

That night, his father came to visit him with Yamato Kento and Mitsuo. He had also brought his wife with him. His father stood beside him and touched his warm face, gently. "He's only seventeen and he's suffering."

"Do we have a heart donor, already?" I looked at Mitsuo.

Mitsuo looked at me and shook his head. "We still can't find one."

I sighed. Kousei needs a heart transplant badly already but even so, we don't know if it will actually save him.

...

Ten days passed and the graduation ceremony is near. Since the day I took him out in the balcony for a while, I felt relieved to see my son allowing his friends to get inside his room again. His health had been improving, too even he's still stuck in using a nasal cannula with an oxygen tank behind him to help him breathe.

His two teachers also visited him that day. They bowed at me and when they saw Kousei awake, they smiled at him, too. His music teacher and coach in Okutsu Music School is a beautiful lady named Ms. Ono Minami while the other one beside her who just got in is his Science Teacher whose name is Takeshi Eiji. They both stared at him with smiles on their lips.

Takeshi Eiji stood beside him and asked while he's helping him sit up on his bed, "How are you, Kousei? Your friends at school miss you so much."

I sighed. I just wish he answers his teachers politely. He's been very moody this past few weeks and the emotional pain he had just calmed down for a while.

"I'm improving. That's what my doctors tell me," he answered. I felt relieved after hearing him say those words. "But I still can't get out of oxygen. They've also told me that I'm put to it until my new heart comes."

I could totally notice the change of his body language. His hands were shaking with fear.

Ms. Minami touched his forehead and spoke to him, "It will all be okay, soon."

He cried in front of us again until he fell asleep.

Takeshi Eiji, a young, twenty-five- year-old man sighed deep and sat beside me. He also folded his hands as if in prayer. "He's so weak. I wonder if he'll be able to attend graduation."

I also sighed deeply. "I'll ask his doctor if they'll allow him to attend graduation."

"He's a bit lucky that he was hospitalized when he had already completed everything that is needed to graduate. We all wished that he'll play the piano in the Graduation Ceremony but seeing him now, I guess he won't be able to do it," he informed me. "He needs a lot of rest."

"He would want to do it. He really miss creating sounds through playing his piano," I told him.

"I guess we should ask him when he wakes up," Minami told us.

...

An hour later, his father came to visit him and he does have a big smile over his lips.

"You seem happy," I told him. He seemed not to notice that there we're two educators inside.

"He has a heart donor already! We still don't know when it'll be transported here, though," he answered me.

I hugged him quick and exclaimed, "That's great!!!"

He held my arms and smiled, "We'll save him. I can't lose my son."

...

The next day when I visited him in his room, he was looking over the open window near him. I didn't notice that there's actually a window here because it was hidden by dark blue curtains. It's also small, too.

He took a very deep breath and when he finally noticed me, he stared at me. He's smiling but his eyes are very much troubled.

"Kousei? Is something wrong?" I asked him.

He just looked at his hands and told me, "I want to go home."

I was surprised by what he said. We already found a heart donor and he'll be operated soon. "I want to be with Kaori in our graduation. Mom, I want to be with her and with my friends for the last time."

Tears engulfed me quick that I hugged him so tightly. "Kousei!!! Don't say things like that!"

Tears slowly formed on his eyes and he screamed at me, "I'm dying and I know it!"

I was shocked. He's not himself all over again. He gripped his shirt. That's when I have noticed that his chest is aching. I quickly went out of the room to shout that Kousei needs help. When the doctors finally got inside, they quickly gave him medicines to help him. When he's finally calmed down, I went back to look after him and found him crying silently.

I went to Doctor Haruo to ask him if Kousei could be allowed to get out of his room to attend his graduation. He'll be eighteen soon, too. Doctor Haruo stared at me and asked, "Why did you come to my office, ma'am?"

"Kousei wanted to get out of his room. No. That's not what he really wanted. Kousei wanted to go home and attend his graduation. He's suffering, emotionally again. Also, I think he will need a psychologist. He's depressed," I told him.

Doctor Haruo stood beside me and answered, "I'll look into it. Come with me." He was also holding a clipboard on his right hand.

He opened the door of his room. I followed him and as we are walking, I looked around the place. There were a lot of kids running to and fro. It made me sad when I noticed that those young kids had a beanie on their heads. They also have nasal cannula on their noses. It made me tear up and when we are finally in Kousei's room, we found him sitting on his bed.

"How are you?" the doctor asked him.
"I'm fine, doctor," he replied to him.

He checked his heart monitor and Kousei's blood pressure. After that, he informed him about his future heart surgery, "Kousei, I heard from your stepmom that you want to go home. When I checked your vital signs, I do think it'll be good for you to leave the hospital for a while before you get your surgery. It will be dangerous for you to get it if your mental health and emotional health aren't good. I'll let you off for a while tomorrow but after a few days, you will return here. Understood?"

His blank eyes brightened up. Tears of joy went out of his eyes, too. "Thank you, doctor!"

...

A/n: If you loved my book, I hope you vote and comment!!! Thank you! 💕💕💕💕💕