Chapter 17

Leah's Point of View:

The bell was just moments away from ringing. In the mean time, Ivy and I were catching up on what were going to do for that party on Friday night.

I was beginning to get really caught up with this entire idea of having fun for a night and forgetting about college when the classroom's door started to creek open.

Dark curls poked through the door before the tall figure stepped in. Harry.

"Ah! There you are!" Mr. Wiser exclaimed looking at Harry. "We missed you today? Where were you?"

Harry didn't answer, the look of disappointment and anger clearly noticeable in his face as he handed Mr. Wiser a pass. It was green, so I knew that moment that he was in the guidance counselors office.

I tried hard not to make eye contact with him but it was impossible. He didn't look at me, though.

"Harry, as you know, we'll start touring schools tomorrow. Do you have a choice?" Mr. Wiser asked Harry as he took a seat in his desk behind Louis.

Still, he didn't say anything.

Mr. Wiser looked down at the papers in his hands before waking up to him and doing them in his desk, "Well if you decide to join us, Harry, just fill this out. We sure wouldn't want you missing out on this."

Harry have Mr. Wiser an annoyed look.

Before anything else could happen, the bell rung. Everyone jumped out of their seats and ran towards the door. I had to stay behind to talk to Mr. Wiser but waved back at Ivy as she left with some other friends.

Harry gave me a pinning look as he passed by, not much to which I cared about. My eyes rolled once he passed, ignoring him and walking up to Mr. Wiser.

"Oh, hi Leah." He smiled congenialy while walking up to his desk. "May I help you with something?"

"Yes, actually, I was just turning in my permission slip for the trip tomorrow." I pulled out the papers, "Is that okay?"

"Of course!" He exclaimed taking them from my hands, "Did you apply for a college?"

"Yes." I nodded my head.

It was hard, I've got to admit, but it was all worth it. I'm officially applied for the colleges and two universities. All I need now is an acceptance letter.

Mr. Wiser observed what I've written, eyes soon widened at my choices.

"Adam's State College, Colorado Mountain College, Fort Lewis College, Colorado State University, and University of Denver!" He called out the list of schools I put down.

I smiled at his reaction.

"Leah, those are really good choices." He looked back up at me, "I'm so proud."

"Thanks." I chuckled.

"Well, thank you for joining us and I'll see you tomorrow morning." He placed the papers, "Is that all you need?"

I nodded before thanking him one last time. My hands went down to fix the papers that were sticking out when I pulled the permission slip out of my bag. Not looking up for anything, I stepped out of the classroom.

I'd say I made it about two steps into the hallway before I felt my body crash into another. My head jolted up, eyes widening at the sight of none the less, Harry.

"Watch where you're going." I snapped taking a step back.

"Seriously?" He started to act slick.

I rolled my eyes before letting a frustrated sigh fall from my mouth. As I stepped forward to walk away from him, my wrist was tightly gripped in front of my face.

Not this again.

"Did you just roll your eyes at me?" He barked in annoyance.

"What do you want, Harry?" This time, I was surprised at how well I reacted to his ways and pulled off from his grip almost immediately.

"Really? Colorado State University?" He hissed.

My mind wandered off to a few moments ago when I was taking to Mr. Wiser.

"Were you listening to my conversation this whole time?" I pinned my eyes at him.

He scoffed, "Wasn't much of a conversation if you ask me."

"You're a creep!" I rolled my eyes.

Words couldn't replace the hidden blank I felt for Harry. He drives me insane. I can't stand him, not after the way he's been treating me. How could I?

"I'm going to pretend you didn't say that." He grinned.

"What do you want?" I asked crossing my arms over my chest.

I was beginning to get ready for the next stupid thing that's going to come out of his mouth before I saw him get serious.

"You can't go to that college."

I anchored one of my eyebrows, surprised at what he told me. Matter of fact, what he warned me about.

"Excuse me?" I corrected him.

"You heard me." His voice got deeper and louder, the echoes starting to bounce off the empty hallways.

Why would he tell me not to go to a school?

"What?" I shrugged my shoulders, "Is it because you're also going there and don't want me there?"

I was being sarcastic and didn't expect him overreact.

"No!" He exclaimed, suddenly relaxing himself and looking down, "I don't even know if I'm going to go to any college."

For the first time since meeting him, I actually felt like he was hurting about this. Here in this town it seems like very few people want to go, and the ones who do, take out really serious. Harry was one of those.

"How come?" I asked.

Though I didn't know why I did, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Harry's head looked back up at me. I even took notice a small smile appeared in his pink, heart shaped lips.

"Nothing." He nodded, getting back to his serious ways.

My nerves started to react as he stepped closer, his tall figure completely shadowing me. I was small compared to him, it made me feel useless.

"Just, listen to me on this one, okay?" He stated more than questioned.

I never left eye contact with him. Usually, I can predict what people are thinking before they even say it. It's a small trick I've learned on one of my psychology classes back in California, a trick I've been using lately on the people around me. But strangely, it doesn't seem to work on Harry. He's just a big blob of mystery.

Without saying another word, Harry gave me a second look of worthiness and walked away.

What the hell?