Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The children were getting restless, were tired of being cooped up inside and Jaz couldn't blame them, but there wasn't much she could do about it. They needed to stay inside, all of them.

Her mobile rang at intervals, her brother checking in making sure she was safe and to let her know their progress. Braedon it seemed pulled rank, was with Nicolas on the road headed their way, leaving Jacob in charge of the Compound.

Jazz too was feeling restless in need of air, her nerves were on edge and she needed to make sure they weren't in any danger. "Matt I'm going to go for a short walk to see what I can discover." She gave him a knowing look and when he nodded she got to her feet and headed towards the door with two tag-a-long's hanging off her.

Matt had to drag them off her. They were crying, wanting to go outside and play, wanting to go swimming, just wanting to be outside. Their crying set off Riley and by the time Jaz was out the door all three were in Matt's arms crying.

Jaz closed the door behind her and took a deep calming breath. She'd never done perimeter work like the men did at home but she felt the need to do something similar now. Maybe not the perimeter of the complex itself, but at least several metres around where they were housed.

Talking a stroll so as not to bring notice to herself from others, Jaz moved in a wide circle making her way in with each complete turn. It was when she got to the beach on the third turn that Jaz's senses came alive and not in a good way.

Pulling her phone out of the back pocket of her jeans she called Matt, "Matt, I think it best if you start packing the car. I'll be there shortly. Keep the children inside until the car is ready to go."

"Jaz..." she hung up. "Shit!" Matt tried not to panic. That Jaz wanted him to pack right now meant that something wasn't right, that maybe 'he' was out there and he had to be ready to leave, to get his kids to safety. So that's what he'd do.

Not worrying about the pencils and colouring books in the living room Matt went about packing up everything else that needed to be put into a bag before putting it all into the car. Sweat running down his back and face, Matt could feel himself shaking in fear. Not for himself but for his children.

Panic was slowly taking over, he looked at his children for strength – looked away because the sight of them made him want to take them and run. Breathe, just breath and try and calm down. Matt walked slowly to where his children waited for him then sat with them pulling them all into his lap.

Comfort, love and the urge to protect were all there. This was his family. His beloved wife trusted him to do what was best for them and he'd do whatever he had to; even if it meant putting his own life in danger. Tears came, so unmanly but he didn't care, these were his kids and he didn't give a stuff if he showed his emotions.

                                                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~

A light breeze brought the scent with it, a scent that almost froze the blood in her veins. Rogue! Jaz hung up her call to Matt and dialled Nicolas. "How long?"

"Jaz, what's happened?"

"The Rogue. He's close by, I just caught his scent. How long until you arrive?"

"We'll be there in forty minutes." He put his foot to the floor, "Make that twenty, hold tight Jaz. And Jaz, do whatever you need to, to survive." The line went dead.