Chapter 10

The resort Jaz would be staying in was on the other side of Coffs Harbour and since check in wasn't until two o'clock, she decided to take advantage of the time she had on hand by roaming around the local stores. Telling herself she was in need of a swimming costume and beach towel Jaz parked her car in preparation of beginning her search, if you could call it a search.

A smile never far from her face, Jaz couldn't quite believe she was feeling so relaxed, so at ease. After exploring several different boutiques Jaz had bought two swim suits, a beach towel and three sarongs.

The sarongs were light weight material, the patterns something she'd normally never have bought for herself and that in itself was reason enough to buy them. She would wear them while she was at the resort and find a use for them on her return home.

Home? Stop it! For the next few day there will be no thoughts of home. I am free and I want to enjoy at least a few days of freedom.

Jaz sighed, looking around for somewhere to sit and have a coffee and a bite to each before she made her way to the resort. Coming across a café by the water put a smile back on her face. Taking a seat where she could see the water Jaz checked over the menu.

A minute later a waitress came to take her order. Jaz ordered the prawn and avocado salad with some crusty bread and a sparkling mineral water. The waitress looked at her for a moment as if wanting to say something. It was then that Jaz recognised her.

"You were the young girl that idiot of a man was pretending to care about in the shopping centre parking lot the some time ago. I took him to task in regards to the way he treated a friend of mine."

The young girl blushed, "Yes. I thought he liked me at first, but he didn't. I... I didn't know how to get away from him. He didn't like it when you said no."

"He was not a nice man. I hope he didn't hurt you too badly?"

"Umm, no. He just yelled mostly. He scared me though. Thank you for what you did. I'm not sure I would have been strong enough to walk away from him."

Jaz reached out and took her hand. "I'm just glad he didn't get the chance to hurt you."

"Your friend. He... he really hurt her?"

"Unfortunately yes. She was in a great deal of pain. To be honest if she hadn't have been found when she was she would have died."

The girl gasped! Truly shocked that she'd been that close so much danger. She gave Jaz a nod and stepped back. "I'll see to your order."

Her salad soon arrived along with her mineral water. The salad was fresh and delicious. The water chilled and bubbly with a slice of lemon in it. When she'd pushed back her plate the waitress placed a slice of hummingbird cake in front of her. Jaz looked at her curiously, but didn't speak.

"I wasn't the only person you helped that day. The owner's daughter was there too. He doesn't know and we'd like to keep it that way. This is our way of thanking you. I would have brought you a coffee but I wasn't sure how you liked it?"

Jaz gave the girl a smile letting her know their secret was safe. "A cappuccino would be nice, thank you."

When Jaz went to pay for her meal she was told it was already paid in full. She looked over the cashiers shoulder at the young girl who gave her a nod. Jaz smiled softly giving her a nod back, thanked the cashier and left the café.

Jaz took her time window shopping as she made her way back to her car, even stopped at a confectionary store to buy a few things that had caught her eye. Jaz had never truly indulged in anything before, never having to time to even consider doing so. Now. Well, now she could at least attempt to do so.