ı 21 ı Silent Killer

Start from the beginning

James appears at my side and gently pulls me away, bending down to my eye level. "I know you want to help, but you need to get Theo out of here. He shouldn't be seeing this.. there's too much blood," he says calmly, directing my attention away from the chaotic scene. Just because I'm not looking at Jo however, doesn't mean I can't still hear her vomiting up blood and screaming in pain.

"Blair!" he presses more sternly, his eyes searching mine. "Do you think you can do that?" 

"But Jo-"

"Elena and Caroline have it and I'm just going to call Damon to make sure he's okay. Your priority right now is Theo, okay?" he says. "It's okay to turn away from the supernatural for once." He smiles, squeezing my shoulder gently.

"Okay." I nod, turning to grab Theo. 

I lift him up and place him in my arms, rocking him back and forth as we make our way out the front door. He cries against my shoulder, his hot tears soaking through my shirt. I cover his ears to prevent him from hearing anymore of Jo's agonizing screams as I close the front door and take a seat on the porch.

∆ ∆ ∆

By now Theo's sound asleep in my lap, his head cradled in my arms as his body is sprawled out on the swing set we sit on. I rock it back and forth gently, almost putting myself to sleep when the front door opens, revealing James. As soon as I see him I go to get up, but he quickly vamp speeds over to me to prevent me from doing so. I have to restrain myself from making any movement out of fear of waking Theo.

"How is she?" I whisper.

"Jo will be fine. Caroline used her blood to heal her, and whatever spell was harming her has now stopped," James assures me, sitting beside sleeping Theo.

"Are my brothers and Alaric okay?" I ask.

"They're returning home right now." He smiles. "I'm assuming they're going to have a story to tell. They must've done something to get Jo's father to stop the spell." 

I nod, resting my head back against the swing. "Are you disappointed nobody got to try your turkey?" I ask, turning my head to him.

He shuffles a laugh, his usual dimples poking through his wide grin. "You're all about the food, aren't you?" he teases.

"I am!" I defend. "I was so hungry and so excited to try the delicious turkey you and Caroline cooked," I laugh slightly, reminding myself to be quiet.

"Well Blair Salvatore, do you know what one of the best things about thanksgiving is?" he raises a brow.

"Please do tell," I say, grinning widely at him.

"The left overs." He smiles, leaning in close to give me a kiss. I meet him half way and give in to the kiss, letting the soft pressure of his lips on mine take me away from the confusing, chaotic world we live in. As soon as he backs away however, I'm reminded of our problem at hand.

"So Kai, what are we going to do about him? He's dangerous, and he'll hurt Bonnie if he hasn't already," I say seriously as James gives me a disapproving look. 

"What?" I ask, oblivious.

"How about, for one day we don't let the supernatural interfere with our lives," James suggests innocently.

"But James, we are the supernatural," I point out.

"I mean, for one day, let's pretend we're normal human beings, with normal human lives. No vampire abilities, no advantages, speed, compulsion or even drinking blood. Just a normal day," he explains, raising his brow.