I love you

"Fire dragon: Iron fist!" Natsu called, directing quick punches towards Juvia's stomach. She dodged each hit expertly, always seemingly a beat in front of her opponent. Natsu was becoming increasingly frustrated with his lack of progress when Gray who had frozen the whirlpool popped up seemingly out of nowhere, holding onto Juvia by her arms as Natsu directed another flaming punch at her stomach. It had no effect as she entered Water body, but that was her mistake. Grays hands, still clasped on her arm sent magic through her body a slowly froze her over, hardening her exterior and making her naught but a perfectly sculpted ice statue. 

"Aye!" Happy called in celebration as the best friends high-fived each other. That was until they heard the slow bubbling noise coming from  their still present foe. They watched, eyes widening as from the inside out the ice quickly melted, becoming so hot that her water body was boiling and making her clear skin look as though every inch was crawling. 

"Oh god" Gray exclaimed, not sure what else to say. What could they do? 

Natsu was seemingly more determined, taking a step infront of his friend, but when Gray stepped forward to join him, he was stopped. 

"No, I'll hold her off" Natsu demanded with surprising authority, not like the guy who allowed himself to be commanded by Erza all the time. "You go and save Lucy" he said, his voice dropping with emotion. "She's somewhere in there, find her, and everything will be okay."

Gray nodded wordlessly and made his way towards the height of the battle where Lucy stood. 

(A/N: I think I'm just going to scoot over the rest of the other two battles and focus on Lucy and Gray at the moment. Just because I could go on for ages about how powerful everyone has gotten and never getting anywhere with it)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Lucy!"

"Don't come any closer Gray!" Makarov called from a spot on the floor, Lucy towering over him. "This isn't lucy, it's Zeref!"

"I don't care!" He snapped so loud that noise seemed to stop. "She's still in there somewhere" he muttered. 

Lucy's eyes thinned as she surveyed Gray with interest, like they had just met and she was sizing him up. "So You're the famous Gray Fullbuster, are you? I've heard all about you." Lucy said. "Not from Lucy, mostly from Juvia, although she certainly seemed fond of you when talking about all your adventures." 

"Let her go Zeref" he said quietly. "Let her go or I will end you."His voice was threatening but his face held true, pure pain, with no filter or mask. It was this point when he felt himself being slammed up against the wall at quite a height, a small nebula keeping him perfectly in place before dropping him to the ground.   

Lucy let out a terribly mad laugh as he grunted in pain, rolling to his feet. "Good luck with that son" he said, continuing to chuckle darkly. 

"Lucy" Gray said, now at his feet and looking directly in her eyes. 

"Lucy isn't here!" 

"Lucy" 

Zeref was growing mad, Lucy's face holding frustration as she stalked slowly towards Gray. 

"Lucy, I'll always protect you no matter what."

She took two more steps and her expression darkened even more. 

"That's why you wanted to train wasn't it? You didn't want to worry me? Well it's not going to work, because I will never stop worrying."

Makarov called out to Gray to stop but he didn't listen. 

"You never really needed me, you could've always saved yourself, you have always been strong." 

Natsu was backed into a corner by Juvia. He took one last look around his home. 

"Your magic power may have improved but you were strong in other ways. So smart and determined."

Wendy screamed while Cana let a card slowly fall toward Erza's heart. 

"It doesn't matter if you were the best mage in the world, I'm always going to want to look after you." 

Happy and Carla caught eyes across the room as their wings dropped and they fell to the floor. 

Lucy and Gray were face to face as she produced a knife from a loop in her belt with glowed, similar to her extendable whip. 

"Because I love you and I don't want to even imagine what it would feel like to lose you."

The knife dug straight into his gut. Gray mouth formed a small o shape as though he hadn't expected her to actually hurt him. It was at this point where Lucy blinked, as though suddenly  waking  up. Her eyes met Grays and she smiled happily until she noticed the expression on his face and her eyeline dropped to her hand on the knife in Gray's stomach. Her eyes widened to twice their size as he began to fall. Everything stopped. Everyone looked as tears fell suddenly from her eyes and she caught him, slowly lowering him to the floor and kneeling down beside him. 

"Gray?" She called hysterically, holding his face inbetween her hands as his eyes slowly closed. "Gray? What happened?" Tears began to fall like waterfall with no sign of stopping as she held him and bawled like a child. "Gray!" she screamed. It was a cruel fate. Zeref had stabbed Gray then released Lucy to let her deal with the consequences. 

Her eyes flickered red once more for a split second before it was pushed away and replaced with the normal brown. She seemed to falter once more, on the edge but her grief completely overcame Zerefs raw strength and there was nothing he could to to regain his minion. He was gone from her. She let out a loud, terrible scream as a large dark blue magic circle appeared above her head and in a second all those in Zerefs army collapsed into a heap, unable to fight, drained from all magic and power and on the verge of death. She was in a rage. A terrible sad rage, but with no one else to hurt she could only clutch tightly to Gray's chest and cry. His cold body was too cold. And she had killed him. 

Cana's card dropped and Juvia moved to stare at the couple, allowing Natsu to stand. Their eyes had lost their red glints, but they were not yet normal. They had another colour tinged in them now. A golden brown colour that stopped them from attacking their comrades anymore. Lucy had managed to overpower Zerefs hold on them. Lucy was their last hope as just over the wailing, a knock on the door could be heard. 

Bit of a short chappie I know but felt like a good place to finish. I'll update soon. Thanks and all that xx