The Return Of The Missing Fairies

(A/N: I don't actually know what the last phase of the S Class trials are, but let's just pretend that everyone has to fight each other because that kind of seems like the Fairy Tail way ;P)

Gray faced his opponent. His best mate. His enemy. His friend. It was Natsu. Neither of them really wanted to be there, not this year. But Gray wanted to be S Class. He could take harder missions further away. He still hadn't given up. It had been a whole year but he wouldn't stop. He would never stop until he found them or died trying. He would never give up on Lucy, or the others. There were alive somewhere, they had to be. In actuality they were way closer than Gray might think.

Elfman dropped out on the second part and Levy left the competition in the third test. Evergreen and Gajeel hadn't made it past the first round on their first exam. This was the last phase of becoming an S Class wizard and in typical Fairy Tail fashion it was a fight. It was between Natsu and Gray and they both wanted it badly. They both knew what S Class meant in terms of the search for their friends. Of course they wanted it.

"I'll let you make the first move Ice-for-Brains" Natsu said smirking at his rival for the first time in a while. Now that they thought about it, this, believe it or not, was the first fight that they would be having in a whole year since their friends went missing. It was a strange thought, the time had gone so quickly. They supposed it was be nice really, for old times sake.

Gray didn't smirk back, but he gave a small nod affectionate and Natsu knew what it meant. He was glad that, if he didn't win, Gray would be the one to win. Truth be told the dragon slayer wouldn't have made it past the second round had he not been following Levy. Too many long words, too confusing, so he figured Gray probably deserved it more than he did anyway. What he didn't realize was that Gray had actually been trailing the both of them.

And so Gray prepared his first attack. "Ice make:hamm-"

"Nullify" A cool and familiar voice came from just inside the fighting ring. Gray felt the magic power in his attack recede to zero.

"Wha-" He began, before noticing the figure making its way towards the pair. Clad in her classic brown jeans and teal Bikini top it was none other than Cana Alberona.

"Cana?!" The pair exclaimed, their eyes going as wide as bowling balls as they looked at her in utter shock. They heard voices from across the clearing and they knew the rest of the spectators could see Cana too.

"We'll keep the catch up for later, for now, I believe this is my spot in the S Class trails. I've been keeping it warm for six years after all."

For the first time ever Natsu's brain seemed to catch up first and he smirked. "You wont go first, Gray? Then I will!" He said cockily, sucking in a deep breath. "Dragon slayer: Roar!"

The attack was big enough to hit both opponents but only Gray was affected, caught off guard he was sent flying back with the flames. Cana on the other hand had pulled a card, seemingly out of no where and held it out in front of her. The fire curved around her in a dome shape, nothing but a bit of hot air blowing in her face. She then pulled out another small deck, again out of nothing and began to throw them, one by one, in Natsu's direction. They were fast, and glowed brightly when thrown, almost like shooting stars. Natsu struggled but managed to dodge them, getting out a question between near misses.

"Where-ah- where the hell- have you- damn- shit- been?"

"Oh, you know, just pottering around" She answered casually. Natsu looked at her as a card skimmed his ear and realized he wasn't winning this match. This would be an easy win for Cana.

While this was going on Gray had got up and decided to rejoin the match. He wanted answers and there was only one person to ask.

"Ice make: Hammer!"