5| broken glass is beautiful

'Broken glass. It's just like glitter, isn't it?'
                                                        – Pete Doherty
-------------------------------------------------------------------x
It had been a while since I had dreams, especially ones that haunted me:

The room looked like our dining room.

Oh NO. Not this one. Please. Anything but this...
I tried to reach out to the people at the table. But I couldn't get closer to them. I was a third person in this family.

There were four people on the table: Mom, Dad, a thirteen year old me, and... there she was,
Maddy.

"You know, Eva, when you become a chef-", Maddy started, with a smug look on her face.

"I'm becoming a chef?", I asked, with incredulity.

"Of course! Anyways, when you become a chef, the first recipe you are going to learn is that of lasagna", she said in a mock-serious way. I stole a glance at the lasagna on the table. I made a gaging noise. Maddy glared at me.

"What?! I hope you get sick over lasagna. Its an unhealthy obsession", I preached. There I was, thirteen year old Eva, telling her eighteen year old sister not to eat lasagna. How dumb I looked.

Ok, ok. That's enough.
Stop at the happy parts.
Come on Eva! Wake up!

But...
I think a part of me still wanted to see, again, what happ-

No Eva! Save yourself from the pain...

"Oh, so you're gonna teach me what a healthy obsession is, then?", she asked teasingly and picked me up bridal style. My eyes widened.

"Uh no. I was just... Eh, talking to myself... And-", and the sofa came into my view, "Oh, no Maddy. I'm sorry. Let me- Aaaahhhhh!", with that I fell onto the sofa.

"You were saying?", she teased.

"I'm sorry?", I tried.

"Too late", and with that she fell into me and started tickling me. I could hear Mom and Dad chuckling in the background.

"I'm sorry!", I screamed, squirming on the sofa.

"What's that?", she strained her ear.

"I'm really sorry Maddy!", I pleaded.

"Yeah sure", she said, disbelieving me. But she did scoop me up and take me back to the dining hall. She put me back on my chair.

As she retreated her hands, they brushed against my glass. It played on the edge and then plummeted to my death.

Yes. Plummeted to my death.

"Maddy!", I shouted and lunged for the glass. But I was too late. The glass broke and my hands dived right into the splinters. The scene broke off at my scream.

At once another scene popped into my head.

The outside of a hospital room.

Maddy's red curtain of hair was over her face, which was bent over her knees. Her back was heaving up and down in ragged breaths. She was crying.

I reached out to Maddy this time.
But once again, I was the third person.

Mom stepped to Maddy's side and started rubbing her back.

"Don't be so upset Maddy. It wasn't your fault", Mom whispered.

"Don't tell me its not my fault. We all know exactly what happened", Maddy hissed back. Mom looked so upset, like she was on the verge of tears.