ı 20 ı Friendsgiving

Start from the beginning

"It's Bonnie, she's alive," Caroline squeals.

"W-what?" I whisper, not sure if I heard her correctly.

"Damon found her stuffed bear last night, meaning she sent it over using magic. That means she's alive, and the three of them are in Portland now to look for some ascendant thing to unlock the prison world!" Caroline says in excitement.

"Bonnie's alive?" I ask again, in disbelief. "There's a way to get her out?"

"Yes." Caroline nods, embracing me in another hug. However, she lets go quickly as a very distinct burning smell hits all our noses. "Oh shoot," she gasps, turning to James in a panic. "James, I need your help or this turkey is a goner," she says frantically, grabbing his hand and leading him down the hallway.

Before they disappear down the hallway however, James turns to me. "Don't worry love, just because your brothers aren't here doesn't mean we won't have a ravishing thanksgiving," he assures me, his voice gradually getting quieter before they disappear around the corner to the kitchen.

I glance down at Theo with a wide smile on my face, taking in a deep breath. Maybe, just maybe this holiday dinner won't be so bad, just maybe. Before I enter the dining room where everyone else stands however, I pull out my phone and make an important call. As the line rings, I clear my throat, preparing for an argument.

"Yello?" Damon greets.

I let out a growl, clearly audible which only makes him chuckle. "Okay for one, don't ever greet anyone with that word again. Yellow is a colour, not a greeting word," I scold him. "And two, you better give me a damn good reason you didn't invite me on your little mission impossible," I snap at him, glancing down at Theo to give him a reassuring smile as if that will make up for my profanities.

"Happy thanksgiving to you too!" he cheers sarcastically, only aggravating me more. Damon is quite literally the only person who can annoy me so much I want to strangle them to death, but then again he's just as witty and sarcastic as I am which makes me fee bad for the people that have to put up with me. Frankly I don't know how they do it.

"Damon I'm serious! I hate thanksgiving and I was really looking for a way out of it. You know I hate thanksgiving. Remember what father made us do?" I ask him, my mind flashing back to the thanksgivings when our father was actually around.

"You mean when he forced us to go outside, catch a turkey and chop its head off only to watch it run around for a good ten minutes headless, with blood squirting from it's neck? Because yeah, I remember Blair."  he sighs deeply, his recollection of the memory clearly hurting him too.

"I swore to god I would never let his ways affect me, but here we are, more than 100 years later and I find myself haunted by his existence," I mutter broodingly.

"I know," Damon says quietly, the line going silent for a few seconds. "But that doesn't mean you can't start new thanksgiving traditions with your new family, people like Caroline, Elena, even James. That's why I didn't invite you Blair, because I knew you would want to come. But you have to realize you have a little boy who needs you, and a man that loves you. You should be spending thanksgiving with them, not running around chasing some witchy ascendant." 

Damon isn't one to go soft very often, so when he does I know he means it. His words hit me with a mixture of sadness and gratitude, realizing he's right. "Well what about you and Elena? Shouldn't you be here now that you've got your memories back?" I ask him.

"Trust me, I would much rather be anywhere but here in Portland with Romeo and Benvolio," he mutters. "But, we're closer than we've ever been to getting Bonnie back, which is the only thing keeping me going. So, can you do me a favour and try to enjoy thanksgiving? I think it would make James and Theo very happy."