Chapter 39

"Sir you need to sign the consent form before the procedure begins" came a nurse with a form and a pen.

He was taken aback. Did he have the right to sign those papers? He shared his heart with her, yet he did not share any relationship with her. He had willingly given her all the rights to rule his life, but he could not take a decision for her.

His impulsive decisions had always caused her a problem. What if this time too his decision to sign those papers caused her another problem? 

"Can I make a call please?" he excused himself. The nurse nodded and he dialed Mr.Iyer's number hoping he will be able to make him realise the graveness of the situation. The phone rang but it was soon disconnected. 

Redial - disconnect, redial - disconnect, redial - switched off.

"Sir please make it quick" the nurse alarmed him.

"Can't you....can't you begin the procedure without the consent form?" he asked apprehensively.

"No Sir, that's not possible at all" she firmly replied.

What could he possibly do now? He remembered Mihika. He was sure she would definitely come running for her sister. But how would he contact her in such short span? He knew no means to contact her. He could search for her profile on social networks but that would take a lot of time.

"Can we wait for some more time?" he asked hoping against hope.

"It's your wish Sir. But let me remind you that you have already wasted a lot of time and the patient has a severe injury on her head. The delay might cause the patient's life" she warned.

"No...no...I will sign it right away" He snatched the form from her hand immediately.

He read the paper, out of habit, before he signing. 

'All operations and procedures carry the risk of unsuccessful results, complications, injury or even death, from both known and unforeseen causes, and no warranty or guarantee is made as to result or cure' 

The clause was alarming.

"What the hell is this? What do you mean by it can cause death?" he acted insane.

"That's the rule Sir. Every consent form for a surgery carries this clause" she explained.

"I don't understand this. Why do you have to put this clause?" he roared.

"As mentioned, we cannot guarantee the results" she said calmly. She was probably used to tackling such irrational questions.

"Does that mean....Ishita....Ishitaaaa......" he could not build up the courage to complete the sentence.

"Calm down Sir. We will try our best to save her" she comforted him.

"What about the baby?" he was scared.

"We cannot assure you about saving both" she was honest in her reply.