Chapter 38

50th post of this book!!!

----------------

Without wasting a minute, he drove to the nearest hospital, talking to her all the while so that she remains conscious.

On seeing the condition she was in, the doctors raised their hand and said that they could not take such a high risk case. They gave her first aid and referred to a hi-tech hospital in Delhi. Soon she was pushed into the ambulance and taken to the hospital referred by the doctors.

While on the way to the hospital, Raman had the time to contact her relatives and inform them of her condition. He thanked his presence of mind for having carried her bag along. He looked for her phone in the bag but to his surprise there was no phone in her bag. He wondered whom and how to contact now. That's when he remembered having gathered information on Subbu before he met him at his office. He fished for the mail on his phone sent by his colleague that had all basic information of Subbu.

He dialed the number mentioned in the mail. The phone was answered by a woman who told him that the number was used by her and  not Subbu anymore. On being asked for Subbu's new contact, she informed him that Subbu was out of station and so his number was unreachable. 

"Mujhe unse urgently baat karni thi" Raman said.

"Aap mujhe bata dijiye, mai unhein bata dungi" she offered.

"Woh...." Raman was about to spill the information but something stopped him and he first decided to know what relation the woman shared with Subbu "Aap koun?"

"Mai Subramanium ki wife hoon, Laxmi" she replied shocking him out of his wits.

"Aap unki wife hain?" he uttered in shock.

"Haan" she replied.

He went mum on her confirmation. 

"Hello.....hellooooooooo" said the woman when he didn't speak after that and then disconnected the call.

'Agar woh aurat Subbu ki wife hai toh phir Ishita?' he wondered.

Answering to his query, Ishita's passport fell from her bag which was recently issued. It had her Father's Name, Mother's name but the Spouse name was not mentioned. 

'Iska matlab Ishita ki shadi nahi hui hai!?'  he realised.

'Phir ye bachha?' he wondered seeing her bump.

Well, he did not have time to waste over it. Contacting her relatives was his first priority. He scanned her bag once again and finally was able to find a small old diary which had her information on the first page. The emergency contact which supposedly belonged to her father was mentioned in it. He quickly dialed the number.

"Hello" said a man receiving the call.

"Hello...Is it Mr.Vishwanathan Iyer?" Raman asked reading out the name from her passport.

"Yes" came the reply.

"Sir....Ishita...." Raman began.

"Koun Ishita?" asked the man sternly.

Raman was stunned with his question. Did he dial the wrong number or was talking to the wrong person? Hadn't he affirmed a while ago that he is Vishwanathan Iyer?

"Sir aapki beti Ishita" Raman stated.

"Ishita naam ki hamari koi beti nahi hai. Hamari sirf ek hi beti hai, Mihika" he coldly said.

Raman sensed that something was wrong between the father and daughter, so he had refused to recongnise her. But he believed that once he knew what condition Ishita was in, he would forget all his anger and run to her side.

"Sir, Ishita ka accident hogaya hai. Woh bahut buri condition me hai. Aap please..........." Raman began narrating.

"Maine kaha na hum kisi Ishita ko nahi jaante" he was firm in his reply.

"Sir...please meri baat suniye. Ye Ishita ki zindagi aur mout ka sawal hai" he tried to make him realise the graveness of the situation.

"Mai aap se aakhri baar keh raha hoon. Woh hamare liye mar chuki hai. Na hum uske liye zinda hain, na woh hamare liye. Isliye please humein tang karna chod dijiye aur us anjaan aadmi ko contact kijiye jiske paap ka bojh uthaane keliye woh hum se saare naate todkar gayi thi" he gave his final word and disconnected the call.

Raman redialed the number only to find it switched off. Before he could think of another person and ways to contact them, they had reached the hospitsl.

Stained with blood, he pushed the stretcher towards the OT maniacally screaming and panicking.

"Doctor please ise bachalo. Ise aur bachhe ko kuch mat hone dena. Please doctor I beg you" he pleaded.

"Bachalo...." Ishita continued to mumble in her half-conscious state.

"Tumhe kuch nahi hoga. You will be fine. You will be fine" he assured, himself more than her.

"Mera bachha..." she said making him realise that she was not bothered about her life, but her unborn baby.

Raman recalled Mr.Iyer's words. Ishita had left the house and broken ties with them because she wanted to give birth to the baby. He could understand how important this baby was for her.

"Tumhare bachhe ko kuch nahi hoga Ishita" he pressed her hand in an unsaid promise "aur tumhe bhi kuch nahi hoga" he added before she was pulled into the OT.

------To be continued----

A quick short update again...
Not proofread