Trouble for a friend

After I had gotten over my cold I made my way to class quickly, keen not to be caught and shoved back into my bed as boredom took over me quickly after the week and a half I had spent in bed.

Because of the three girls I was not supposed to be going to class today. They said to give it one more day but I was far from letting that happen. I skipped over breakfast in the hall having that with the boy in the common room but I had Care of Magical Creatures and that was my favourite subject.

"ALI" Lily said as soon as I appeared in the small clearing for class. "What are you doing" She shrieked.

"I'm going to class because I wish to" I said smirking and making my way to the side of the class to see several Thestrals standing in front of the crowd of students, most of which couldn't see them.

"Now, who here can see the animals we are working with this lesson" Professor Kettleburn said. I raised my hand along with two other students I didn't know the name of.

"But Professor, there's nothing there" Lily said raising her eyebrows.

"Alice, would you like to explain" The teacher said turning her attention to me.

"Of course, they are Thestrals, winged horses that can only be seen by people who have seen death and accepted it" I said quickly hearing the gasps of people around me.

"I'm glad to know only three people in this class have seen death" The teacher said as all the others who couldn't see the thestrals gasped as they saw the horses eating meat. Well, only the meat disappearing. We sat down around the animals and copied down the facts. After the class was over Lily, Alice and Marlene walked straight over to me.

"Why didn't you come sit with us" Marlene asked straight away.

"Sorry, I would've but with what we were learning I needed some time to myself" I said blushing slightly as I knew they would begin asking questions.

"Could you see them?" Lily asked curiously. I met there eyes and nodded slowly. I really wanted to run. All my friends eyes asked the same question.

"I killed her. My best friend" I said quietly standing up and running off as the whole world crashed onto my shoulders. I sprinted into the forest and made my way to the clearing I had discovered just before I began school. The Thestrals sat there eating away at the bushes I walked over and patted the tallest one, the only one that seemed completely comfortable around me.

"Hey there" I said as it turned its head my way. Just seeing the Thestrals made me feel upset. It felt like every time I saw them I was just reminded of my best friend. The one that would still be here if she was never friends with me. If I was never bitten. If I had of controlled my self. I sat on the floor and wrapped my arms around my legs as the memories came flooding back.

Lily P.O.V

She ran off just before we had the chance to say anything. I looked to my friends to see there faces were sullen. We knew just who the girl was. Rumors constantly floated around the school about the girl who was best friends with Alice. When she died Alice became sad but no know knew how she was killed.

"Do you guys think Katie was killed by Alice" Marlene said quietly.

"Thats definitely who she was talking about, but it must have been her in her werewolf form, she would never do such a thing" Alice said as I turned my head in the direction of where she ran to.

"Let's head to class, i'm sure Alice will be there" I said standing up and brushing my robes off. But Alice wasn't in class when we arrived or when it started. I began to fear what had happened and when class was over we walked back to the grounds skipping lunch. We were about to search when she came walking from the forest with her head hung.

"Ali" I said softly. She looked up and fear filled her eyes. She ran off to the castle her hair trailing behind her, and innocent looking person and the last you'd expect to be a werewolf. I felt to sorry for her. We all followed quietly.

Alice P.O.V

I ran into an empty corridor and stumbled across Snape and Malfoy talking. They turned and saw me, two evil grins on their faces.

"Ahh, if it isn't Dumbledore" Malfoy said walking forwards and freezing me in position before I could run. Snape also advanced on me pulling his wand out and directing it at my chest.

"Sectumsempra" He whispered. Immediately a burning sensation filled my chest and I fell unconscious quickly.

---

Lily P.O.V

We ran into the corridor to find Ali lying unconscious in a puddle of blood on the floor of an abandoned corridor. I cursed loudly running over and lifting her shirt up slightly to see three small, but very deep cuts on Ali's stomach. Marlene picked her up as I tried an advanced healing spell. Nothing happened making me guess it was the work of a magical spell.

"Quickly" A said, her face pale with fear. Marlene hurried up, her footsteps echoing on the floor. I ran ahead to warn someone about Alice. I burst through the hospital wing door startling Madam Pomfrey who was tending to a patient.

"Quick, it's Alice, she's been hit by a magical spell, she's nearly dead" I shrieked as Marlenes footsteps reverberated off the floor as she ran towards the hospital wing carrying Alice. Madam Pomfrey quickly finished giving the medicine to her patient before rushing to Alice's aid who had just been placed in a bed.

"Everyone out" Madam Pomfrey said loudly. I walked slowly from the room glancing at Alice once more, in her unconscious and bloody state. This was worse then any werewolf cut.

"We have to inform the boys" Marlene said urgently. I reluctantly agreed and followed her to the common room quickly. Alice went off on her own way to go and inform the teachers who we assumed to be in the hall for lunch. The boys should be trying to give Ali lunch in the common rooms at this point and probably didn't know where she was. As we ran to the rooms we bumped into the boys who looking slightly concerned.

"Wheres Ali?" Remus asked. "She didn't come down the stairs for lunch"

"She's in the hospital wing" I said quietly.

"WHY?!" Remus yelled running off towards the hospital wing. I grabbed his wrist before he could run further.

"Madam Pomfrey kicked us all out, we don't know what happened, we found her lying in a pool of blood with three deep cuts in her stomach made by magic" I said nervously. I felt his arm struggle in my grip.

"Let me go" He seethed.

"Woah Moony, we can't see her yet" Sirius said trying to help restrain Remus who was still struggling to go and get to Alice.

"Please Moony, we won't be helping Alice by distracting Madam Pomfrey" James said joining. I felt Remus' arm go limp in my grip as he was finally calmer.

"What do we do then" He said looking down at the ground.

"We go to the teachers and see what's going to happen and if we can help in anyway?" Sirius suggested and we all agreed.

We got back to the hospital wing to discover the teachers talking out the front with A discussing what she saw. All the teachers were pale and I saw Dumbledore showing more emotion then i'd ever seen. His face was pale in colour and a new expression filled his face. Fear.

"Whats happening" Remus said as soon as he saw the teachers.

"She's going to be sent to St Mungo's, the cuts are to hard to heal properly, she'll need intensive care" Dumbledores said attempting to keep a calm voice. I looked to see Remus' face filled with fear. He looked horrified.

"Sh-she'll be fine" I said trying to keep spirits high. It was going to be hard.