I told her all about it and how the cloak turned red. I told her everything right down to Severus's words and how they had made me feel. Her eyes were glassy with tears by the end, and she hugged me tightly.

"I'm so sorry honey," she said sincerely and wiped her own eyes. I did the same to myself.

"I love him, Lynx. I can't say it to him in so many words, but I really do love him," I confided for the first time as fresh tears leaked out. I wished it was a lie, but I knew better.

"I know Izzy, I can tell. As strange as it is, I'm starting to understand what you see in him. He seems very passionate and intense; he just hides it really well," she commented. I nodded with a small laugh. She only saw a tiny bit of what I did, but at least she thought she understood.

"He's also the most bipolar man I have ever met. I can't get over him though. I can't give up yet," I told her with a weak smile.

       "Just tell me what I can do Izzy. I'm your best friend. I'll always be here for you."

Weeks passed, and Severus made good on his word. He gave his very best effort to ignore me to the point that even if I spoke out of turn he would make no comment. This outraged the other students, but Severus would just give them detention and be done with it. I wished for detention. At least that was better than him pretending I wasn't there.

I sank into a deep depression with him ignoring me so fervently. Lynx was becoming distraught with worry. She caught me as I was slipping out of the castle to go see Mendriataura again one day. It was the first clear day in a week.

"Where are you going?" she asked jogging to my side. I panicked briefly. I had given my word I wouldn't tell a soul about the mermaids. I had kept my word and not even told Lynx though it killed me.

"Lynx," I said pained. "I wish I could tell you, but I gave me word I wouldn't say anything to anyone."

"So now you're keeping secrets from me?" she accused incredulously. "We used to be the best of friends, Isabella! We told each other everything, but you've changed. You've become cold and distant these last few weeks, and I'm wondering if you even value this friendship anymore," She turned to storm away, but I called her back.

"Wait here for just one moment, please!" I begged. She sighed angrily with her arms crossed over her chest. She didn't look at me, but I knew she would wait— for a few minutes at least.

I ran as fast as I could to the Black Lake and threw myself onto the bank. I let my fingers glide across the top of the water and waited impatiently for Mendriataura to appear. Her head broke through the water with a curious expression.

"I sense your distress Isabella Marie Fellstone. What troubles you?" she asked in her odd lilting voice. I pleaded with my eyes.

"I have kept my word not to say anything about your existence," I started quickly. "It is threatening to destroy my relationship with my best friend. I have almost never kept a secret from her, and she is dreadfully upset with me right now. She wouldn't tell anyone about you, I swear. Just please let me tell her," I begged earnestly.

Mendriataura glowered at me darkly.

"I thought you were a different human from the rest, Isabella Marie Fellstone. Perhaps I was mistaken," she said darkly. I shook my head furiously.

"No, you aren't mistaken, Mendriataura! Please, I beg of you," my voice sounded defeated. I knew Lynx would eventually forgive me either way, but I couldn't bare the thought of her being angry with me. Not now. She was all I had.

"I must consult my sisters, but I am certain they will not agree," she said and flashed down into the water like a torpedo. I waited with my nerves very on edge for a couple of minutes before Mendriataura along with two other mermaids appeared.

"Isabella Marie Fellstone, these are my sisters Lilliamorta and Persephony," she gestured to the other mermaids in turn. The mermaid with dark hair and a dark tail came closer. This one was Lilliamorta.

"Mendriataura has convinced us to hear your plea at great risk to herself," she said in the raspy dreadful voice mermaids had above the water. She didn't hold water in the back of her throat like Mendriataura. I almost said told them thank you, but I knew better. To thank a mermaid was to put yourself in her debt.

"To humans the most important thing is love," I started. I knew enough about their culture to know they wouldn't properly understand this, but it was my best shot. "I have a great friend, closer to me than a sister, and I love her dearly.

"My keeping your existence secret from her is threatening to sever that love. This would destroy me. I know you care very little for humans, but maybe you could consider it teaching us how to be better. We need all the help we can get to be strong like the Merfolk. Both of us could learn so much from you. My dear friend will keep your secret. I pledge it on my life."

My pledge caused all three mermaids to recoil in shock. I had just said that they could kill me if Lynx betrayed their secret. To the Merfolk, having that much faith in another was unheard of.

"Your pledge is final," Persephony said mildly triumphant, pulling her long muscular tail to the surface of the water in front of her. It was as white as chalk and glimmered like cut granite. It was beautiful. "As queen of the Merfolk, I decree you may tell your sister. Should she spread the knowledge of our existence we shall claim your life as you have pledged. You cannot run for ancient magic is now at play." A thin smile lifted her lips. It almost seemed cruel.

The fin of her tail lifted towards me, and I placed my hand on it to seal the agreement. I knew Lynx would keep this secret 'til the day she died.

Soft light erupted from where her tail and my hand touched, and a small stream of water swirled around both of us. I felt warm and cool simultaneously as the light bathed my skin. It was very pleasant.

"By this decree you are made Honorary Mermaid, Descendant of Merlin," I gasped at the Merqueen's words. "Yes, I know your lineage. I always have. Now go and fetch your sister. Farewell." With that she and Lilliamorta flipped backwards into the lake and disappeared into the depths.

The light was gone now, but my palm tingled. I looked down at it to find a single pearly scale the size of my littlest fingernail. I wanted to stare, but I had to get back to Lynx before she left.

I raced with newfound spead back to the caste just as Lynx was walking inside. I ran up and grabbed her by the arm. She spun and glared at me.

"I can tell you!" I panted happily. "You have to come with me, it's the most amazing thing ever!" She studied me hard as if she was considering refusing.

"Alright, but what is it?" she conceded at last. I explained everything to her as we walked swiftly to the Black Lake. Her eyes were as big around as a doe's when I told her I had put my life on the line to be able to tell her. She hugged me tightly.

"I am so sorry I ever doubted your quality of friendship," she apologized. I had showed her my hand, and she told me I should consult Dumbledore about it. She felt certain having a mermaid scale must come with some sort of magic.

As soon as we reached the Black Lake, Mendriataura came out of the water to her waist. Normally she just brought her head up. Lynx gasped quietly.

"The Queen has been generous, and your sister has risked a great deal for you to learn of us. Do not throw away such generosity," Mendriataura told Lynx coolly. Lynx nodded speechless.

Lynx didn't speak much to Mendriataura as she was still in shock, but I knew she would get over it and be itching to come back. I'd have to explain that about once a month is the most we should visit. Mendriataura was just telling us about how the Giant Squid had been acting strangely and wasn't eating when I heard a voice behind us that chilled me to my very bones.

"You are a stupid girl."

I spun around to see Severus a few meters away. His expression was sad and bitter, with just a hint of guilt. It was a look I had never seen on him before.