2. ⚛️ Chance Meetings

Start from the beginning

The gloom of the hallway made it difficult for Jeannie to make out his ink. And she found that she really, really wanted to.

"My name is Hawthorne Gable, and these here are my friends. This one is Dalton Greene." He jerked a thumb at the rock star who winked at her. "And that one there is Quentin James." Quentin turned and gave her a smile as lazy as his half wave.

She tipped her head at the man's introductions. Quentin and Dalton returned her nod.

"I'm Jeannie. Jeannie Jones."

"Nice to meet you, Jeannie Jones." Another thumb jerk stated the obvious. "I'm moving in next door." Thorne scratched the morning stubble decorating his chin while Jeannie's eyes followed his fingers. "Sorry for the noise," Thorne said, his green eyes downcast. "I guess we woke you up, huh?"

"Yes. Yes, you did. But that's okay."

Jeannie tried to keep a hold of her earlier anger, but it had already dissipated under his charm.

Good-looking people always get away with murder. All they have to do is smile, Jeannie surmised, smirking at the man in question.

And smile Thorne did—nice and bright.

Jeannie quickly wiped the smirk from her face as Thorne leaned in, lounging his long frame against her doorjamb. He was close. Too, close. She could count the stubble hair, which coated his well-defined jawline.

"Let me make it up to you, then." His tone, soft and soothingly seductive, mesmerized her in to responding.

"How?"

"After unloading the van, I'd like to take you to breakfast."

Is he asking me out?

Thorne continued as if he read her mind. "We're pretty hungry. Right, guys?"

The men behind Thorne nodded their agreement.

So not a date.

Jeannie gulped down her disappointment. A bitter pill to swallow so early in the morning.

"Which restaurant?" she asked, naming the only two within walking distance. "Babe's or El Chico's?"

Thorne shrugged. A massive lifting of heavily muscled arms. "Well, seeing as how I'm new around here, why don't you decide?"

Judge Winston had filled her in on the restaurants in the area, at least the ones he'd deemed worth a visit. Jeannie had yet to try them. She preferred to cook her meals.

"I've heard El Chico's has great breakfast tacos. Let's go there."

"A woman after my own heart," Thorne said, placing a long-fingered hand on his chest. "I love Mexican food."

Jeannie gazed at his mouth again. The way he'd said love, with a soft caress on his tongue, seemed like he meant it for her alone.

Thorne gave her a sideways grin before turning to his friends, cutting off her view of his unusual lips. "Does El Chico's sound good to y'all?"

Quentin made a show of looking at his watch. "Actually, I forgot we have an appointment to look at an apartment. We'd better pass for now." Quentin gave Jeannie another lazy smile while Dalton chortled. "You two go on ahead," he added, openly grinning.

"I guess it's just you and me, Jeannie."

Jeannie's suspicions rose at Thorne's motives. He didn't seem at all surprised or upset that his friends weren't going.

Maybe it's a setup?

"Give me about an hour," Thorne said, slowly eyeing her up and down.

All of Jeannie's thoughts flew out the window when he bit his bottom lip.

"O-oh. Okay," Jeannie murmured.

Thorne pushed off her door jamb, taking a backward step into the hallway. "I'll knock when I'm ready."

Inwardly, Jeannie could hardly wait for their breakfast ... thing. Outwardly, she gave off a calm aura.

"Nice meeting you, Quentin, Dalton." She nodded to each. "I'm sure we'll meet again."

"Yeah," Quentin said with a wink. "We'll be seeing you real soon, Jeannie."

A perplexed look crossed Jeannie's face as she nodded one last time before closing the door.

Thorne waited until they had stepped outside before slapping Quentin upside the head. The stocky man stumbled a few inches forward, rubbing at the sore spot.

"Why don't you try to make her suspicious next time, idiot?" Thorne whispered.

"Hey, I was just fooling around. She won't know—"

"She'd better not." Thorne glared at Quentin, staring him down. The smaller man looked away, duly chastised under his leader's glare.

"Let's bring in the equipment," Thorne said, alternating his gaze between his two subordinates. "You'll have at least an hour and a half to set everything up. Do you think you can manage that?"

"Yes, team leader," Dalton and Quentin said in unison.