Chapter Twenty-Seven

Unedited Chapter.

READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END

Alex's POV

I knew she would be shocked the minute she saw me. I tilted the sides of my lips upwards a little to give her smile. Her eyes wide in shock with her mouth gape open. I reached out my hand to close it, lingering my fingers a little on her chin. I know she had questions. “Hey.” I softly spoke. Her eyes blinked.

Once.

Twice.

“What happened to you, Lexy?” She asked, in a hushed whisper. A ghost of a smile twitched the corners of my lips as I heard my nickname escaped from her mouth.

“Something happened.” She crossed her arms and lean against the chair.

“No shit, Sherlock.” Sarcasm dripped on her words. I chuckled. I always love how feisty and sarcastic Lucky is. It’s one of the things that make her different from the rest of the girls I met. She isn’t afraid to speak her mind. I sighed as I played with the ends of my fringe. A nervous habit.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” I mumbled, as my eyes stayed glued on the table. I heard her loud sigh. It kills me to know that I’m making her frustrated but I really can’t say it. I don’t want to destroy what we have. It’s special to me. Lucky is the only girl that was able to get under my skin, right after my break up with my ex-girlfriend, Lisa. I swore off girls and take into the fact that all girls are like Lisa. She ripped apart my heart and stabbed on it numerous times. But somehow Lucky has gotten through the walls that I have built. I only wanted to be her friend when I first saw her. I never thought of falling for her. And I’m falling hard. I felt a warm hand holding onto mine. My eyes trailed from the hand towards the owner. A slight smile formed on Lucky’s face.

“It’s alright, Lexy. I understand you don’t want to talk about it. Just remember I’m always here for you, okay?” Her eyes shone with concern. I squeeze her hand in return and nodded. She let go of my hand to take a sip of her coffee. My eyes stayed on my now emptied hands. If only I could just reach out and grab her hand but that will just creep her out. Man, I’m such a wimped. “So you got any plans right now?” Lucky asked, after a few minutes of silence. I simply shook my head. She, suddenly, stand up and heading to the door. I copied her actions behind her. We step out of the shop and took in the fresh air. I just followed her footsteps. None of us talk and just keep walking, with the sounds of our footsteps walking side by side.

“Where are we going?” I questioned, curiosity beats me. She just shrugged her shoulders, not opening her mouth. My hands itch to hold hers but I don’t know whether that’s such a good idea. It doesn’t help the fact that our hands brushed against each other a couple of times.

“Lucky, may I?”

It was killing me. It took her a few seconds to understand what I was asking before nodding her head and with a shy smile spread across her face. Immediately, I grabbed her small hand into my big ones and let our fingers intertwined, like an easy puzzle. My heart melted upon her touch, making me never to want to let go of her. 

 ***

We let our feet take us to a park. The park was almost deserted with only a few people walking, some with their dogs.

“Hey, Alex, I have a dare.” Curiosity builds in me as I look at her. “I dare you to get as many popsicles inside your mouth.” I almost laugh hearing her ridiculous dare.

“Oh really?” I teased. “And if I win?”

“If you win, I will scream at the top of my lungs that you are the most handsome guy in the world five times in different places, you name it. But if you lose, you will have to say I am the prettiest girl you have ever seen to anybody that you see in this park.” I gave a thought on that before shaking a deal with her.