Chapter Eleven

Edited

“I didn’t know you can sing! Let alone play the guitar!” Zayn exclaimed. His eyes shifted from my guitar then to me. He was stunned for a while, sitting on my window panel with one of his leg sticking inside.

My eyes widen as gawked at his figure in front of me. The blood drained from my face knowing the secret’s out. The only thought came running through my mine was The cats out of the bag.’ I placed my guitar on the floor and stood up slowly. I stood there rooted to the ground because honestly, I was a little scared that he was mad at me for keeping something from him, even as little as this. How ironic is it when I’m already mad at him for keeping a secret from me. I’m such a hypocrite. “What are you doing here? I thought you were going home?” I asked, panicking slightly.

“I changed my mind,” Zayn took a step into my room from the window and sat on my bed as he looked at me. “You didn’t answer my question.” I sat next to him and shrugged. He started to play with his fingers as he waited for my answer. He had on his poker face so I can’t tell whether he’s mad at me or not. While I’m wiping my sweaty palms, I try to think of the right words to say to him.

“I don’t know. I just feel shy having to play or sing in front of people,” I squirmed in my place as I let my words processed in his mind. I just don’t feel like talking about this talent of mine to anyone. I’m just scared that if anyone knows about it, they will definitely want me to play and sing a song for them, which is what I don’t want because I feel like I’m been judge. I’m just shy about singing or playing, I can’t even socialise well! I turn to look at Zayn and he was just staring at his fingers, deep in thought. I sighed heavily as I waited for his reply.

“But, I’m your best friend. You shouldn’t feel shy with me. We’ve known each other since we were babies.” I smiled and lean my head against his shoulder. Silence surrounded us, but it was a comfortable one. He started playing with my fingers and I felt warmth all around me. At one point, we were just holding hands and our hands fit perfectly. Like a simple puzzle being fit together. My eyes were fixated at our lock hands and wonder, why couldn’t things be different and simpler.

I was deep in thoughts when I remember his little secret. I was a little afraid to ask him about it, and it would ruin our little peaceful moment we are having now. His secret irritates me to know end and it kept leading me to bad scenarios. I sighed heavily again and try to find the right words to ask him before I open my mouth. “Zayn?”

“Hmm?” He responded lazily, his tone of voice made me realised that he’s tired.

“Why didn’t you tell me you went on a date with Sally when you left me at Starbucks this afternoon?” He was quiet for a while, probably processing my words into his head. He sighed heavily and lifted his head. I followed his action and waited for his explanation. He covered his head with his large hands for a few seconds. Tension rose around us, making me regret for asking him that question.  I should have kept my mouth shut! He removed his hands away from his face and just stared at the floor like it became interesting to him.

“How did you find out?” He asked.

“That’s not important, Zayn. I want to know why you think that’s something you can keep it from me. You can just tell me about it, you know. Just say like ‘Hey, I got a date with Sally’. It’s much easier for me.” I pulled my hands away from his and stood up creating a distance from him with my back facing him. I could feel his eyes burning behind my back.

“Why is it such a big deal?” He asked. I sensed irritation at the tone of his voice.

Anger rose in me. He just doesn’t get it, does he? I faced him while clenching my fists. I was boiling with rage as I shot him an icy stare. Moments like those, I wondered if he was blind not to see something so obvious or he’s just plain stupid.