Chapter 4

Rayna’s POV

The first thing I hear is beeping. Not I rushed, panicky sort of beeping, but a slow, calming one.

The first thing I smell is cleanliness with a hint of something floral. Sort of like a hospital…

I shoot my eyes open and start to panic, making the beeping more rushed. I’m in a hospital! Why am I in a hospital?!

“Rayna, its ok, just calm down, you’re safe. Take a minute to think and breathe.” I look at the person who was talking. Such a beautiful blonde… wait. Those blue eyes look quite familiar.

“It’s me, Gabriel.”

Everything comes flooding back, all too quickly. The crash, the realization of our parents death, meeting Gabriel on the side of the road to help Georgia. Oh shit, Georgia!

“Is Georgia ok?! Gabriel, did you help her?”

“She’s fine, Rayna.”

I released the breath I didn’t know I was holding.

“You know, if it wasn’t for you holding her wound on her leg, she would have died. You did the right thing.” I glance over to the hospital bed side table. There were some flowers on it and to the bed beside that, was my sister sleeping.

“She was up earlier, but you weren’t awake yet, so we left you alone.”

“So what happened after I passed out?” Just then the nurse comes in and brings me some food on a tray. On the tray is mac n cheese, with a side of mashed potatoes with and blue jello for dessert. I start eating while listening to Gabriel tell me what happened.

“Well after you passed out in my arms, I picked you up and put you in the back seat of my truck, then I went to the driver’s side and drove down the road to the burning car, and checked out what happened a little bit.

“I saw Georgia laying there, calling for help, so I went over to her and told her that I had you in the back of my truck, and that I can help and drive you two to the hospital.

“She put her arm around my shoulder and I helped her get in the front seat. I then sat in the driver’s seat and dialed 911 to deal with the dead bodies and started my drive to the hospital.

“On the way there, we talked and she told me about how you helped a lot with getting her out, and stopping the bleeding. She also told me how you guys are on your own now, and have no place to stay. You guys have no other relatives that are able to take you both in at the same time in the area, so I’ve been told.”

I think about what he just said. Georgia and I are now orphans. I have nothing left, and I don’t think I’ll be able to even look at my relatives in the face without thinking of my parents. Where can I go?

That’s when it hit me.

Colorado.

Colorado seems like the perfect place! My youtubers live there, and they honestly seem like the only thing I have left. Maybe someone can adopt me there, and me and my new family could go to the Alamo and we could coincidently bump into The Creatures. I could meet my youtubers! They are like a second family to me, I need to do this.

“Gabriel, I want to go to Colorado. Denver Colorado, to be exact. I could meet my youtubers, and I want to give it a shot.”

“Are you sure about this Rayna? I can go right now to contact people to get you to an orphanage there, but only if you are 100% sure. What about your sister? What will happen to her?”

I look at my sister, who is sleeping. She looks so peaceful. I wish I could take her with me, but we will probably be adopted by different couples. Anyways, she has a life here. Me, not really. I have nothing to lose, while she has her entire life. The relatives that might be able to take someone in could probably only take one. It may as well be her.

“I’m 100% sure. Send me to the orphanage in Colorado, Georgia will understand.” Oh wow, I can finally change my life! I feel myself perk up by the chance to have a family again.

The nurse comes in and takes away my empty tray. I feel my energy come back, and I feel more alive now. A bursting magenta colour comes from Gabriel, and I realise it’s his aura.

“Ok Rayna, I’ll just step into the hall and call a couple people to organize your transition.” He gets up and his magenta aura has hints of green in it. As he leaves, the doctor comes in along with a nurse.

“Hello there Rayna, I’m Doctor Morte, and this is Nurse Joyce. Well, let’s get down to business. We fixed your dislocated right shoulder quite easily; just don’t do any heavy lifting. You have stitches on the hairline of your forehead, but that shouldn’t leave much of a scar at all.

“Your leg has stitches on it, and we managed to get all of the metal out and fix the skin, but there might be some light scarring when it is completely healed, which will take a little longer than usual. Your skin seems a little different, but everything is healing just fine.” Doctor Morte and Nurse Joyce check a couple of things with Georgia and then leave, just as Gabriel comes back in.

When Gabriel comes and sits down, I hear slight stirring from Georgia.

“Rayna? What’s going to happen? With us I mean.”

“Georgia, we’re now orphans, which means we need a family. I’m going to go to Colorado and hopefully with my new family, whoever they may be, I will meet The Creatures. As for you, you are going to stay here with one of our relatives.”

She looks like she is going to argue, but I quickly cut her off.

“You have a life here. You have friends, and you are halfway through high school. It would just mess you up to make you basically restart. I’ll keep in touch with you, I promise.”

“You know what Rayna? You’re right. You have to do this. I’m going to miss you.”

“I’m going to miss you too.”

“Um, may I interrupt? I’m sorry, but Rayna, we have to leave right now. I know its short notice, but it has to be now.”

“What? Why would it be so sudden, and how will I get there? And I can’t just drop everything and leave!”

“Rayna, these are friends of mine. I actually live in Colorado. I was just here to visit some of my college friends, but on my way back to the airport, I saw you. You can fly to Colorado with me; the charges are already covered. We can have everything shipped to your new home once everything is settled. I already have your plane ticket. So, say goodbye to your sister.”

“This is insane. Stuff like this doesn’t happen in real, normal lives!”

“I know. This is all very stressful for you, Rayna.”

“Just go Rayna. Go. This is something you have to do. I know it’s crazy, but hey, it needs to be done.” Damn, Georgia’s really calm about this.

I get up and hug Georgia goodbye.

“Bye Georgia.”

“Come on Rayna, let’s go sign you out and get on that plane.”

And with that, I left.