Part 14

Josh continues walking until you reach the door and then he grabs you and runs down the stair and out the door and keeps running down the street. "Josh where are we going?" you ask as you situate into a piggy back ride. "My favorite place in London." he says as he slows down to a slow jog instead of sprint. Eventually you hop down from his back a join his side, grabbing his hand and closing the gap between you. After a few moments, you see your destination, The London Eye. (Google it if you don't know what it is, Farris wheel like ride!)  "That's your favorite place in London?" you say smiling. "Yep, I went on it with Jennifer when we were here for the press tours." He responds. "You're such a tourist." you laugh. "So you're telling me The Eye isn't your favorite thing to do in London?" He asks. "Of course it isn’t, it's full of tourists like you." you respond giggling. One of those slow, sexy grins emerges on his face. "Well you've never been on it with a tourist like me. I bet it will be much more fun than with your brother!" he says laughing as well. "Hey! I didn't go on it with just my brother! Niall and Louis were with me and Ed!" you say back, bumping your butt into his hip as you walk down the street towards your destination. He pulls you back in close and kisses your cheek. "I think it's cute that you hang out with your brother a lot." he says. You get to The Eye and you wait in the line full of the tourists you had been talking about earlier. You finally get through the line and start the 30 minute ride to the top. When you make it to the top, the ride stops, and remains stopped for a longer period of time than normal. You and Josh had been relatively quiet the entire way up, but he slowly lifts his mouth to your ear and whispers "Look out side." you look out toward the night sky as the stars are sparkling and in the sky you watch a plane write "Emma Grace, Will you marry me?" Your heart sinks. You look over to Josh and he has a small black box open, with the most gorgeous engagement ring you've ever seen in it. There's tears in your eyes and when you look to him there's tears in his eyes too. He clears his throat and he starts talking, "Emma, I love you. I love you so much. I knew it from the moment I saw you from the room that night here at Harry's party. I knew it the moment I first kissed you. I just knew I couldn't live without you. I was hooked, lined, and sunk from the moment talked to you. That's why I'm asking you right now Emma, Will you marry me?" Your instinct of course is to say yes. You love Josh too, but you think about the fact he forgot he ever knew you, you think about the fact he broke up with someone to be with you and think about if he'd ever do that to you. And although you know you love him with all your heart and you would love to marry him, you know you can't do it after only knowing him for about 6 months and You know you can't at the age of 19, so although there's tears in your eyes you look at Josh and say, "I'm sorry Josh but I can't marry you."  

-----

You immediately regret it. Josh just asked you to marry him and you said no. There's tears in his eyes and he shuts the box, putting it back into his pocket. "I'm so sorry Josh. Josh I.. I..." You break down. Sobbing uncontrollably. You try and get the words out. "Josh.. I. Im so.. I can't.. I uh.. I want to.. But I... I... Josh." He goes into a defensive mode, saying "Yeah well don't even worry about it Emma." he turns from you and puts his head in his hands. "It's whatever." Your heart breaks. "Josh please. just hear me out please." you say. "What Emma. What in God's name do I need to hear because honestly I'd be halfway to china if we weren't in this thing right now." He says, slamming his fist against the wall. You start sobbing even harder. "Josh I'm just scared. I'm scared like you were after my surgery. I'm scared, and I wanted to say yes I did. but I just can't I'm scared and I.. I don't know what to do because I love you so much, but I.. I'm too young. I'm not ready to be a wife, even if you'd be the perfect husband. It sounds so cliché Josh, But it's not you at all. it's me. I'm just not ready. I'm so scared." you say, and your voice breaks into another sob. "I'm so sorry." you spit out. Then Josh goes from his defensive mode, to a protective mode. He grabs you into his arms, and he scoops you onto his lap. He strokes your hair and rubs your back. "I'm sorry too, Em. I should've realized we had only known each other for half a year. I should've known it was too soon. But I just love you so much, we've been through so much together Emma. I still love you, I'll always love you." Him trying to comfort you makes it even worse. "I'm so sorry Josh. I'm so so sorry." He squeezes you tightly, "Don't be sorry." he says but no matter how hard you try to stop, you just keep sobbing. You know he's trying to stay strong but you feel his body shake with silent sobs too. You get to the bottom and the boys, Ed, and Connor are standing there all with big dorky grins on their faces getting ready to congratulate you. Then they see your faces as you and Josh step out and they all look like they just saw a ghost. You hear lots of "Whatss.." and "What happened." and "Oh My God's." Thankfully Josh speaks up because there's no way you can answer them. "We're just not ready right now you guys." he says, but clearly he means you aren't ready, because if he wasn't ready he wouldn't have asked you. You feel like a terrible person. They all give you and Josh hugs and you say a quick goodbye to the boys, promising to hang out with them in a few day for New Years Eve. You, Josh, Ed, and Connor have a quiet trip back home. When you walk through the door, your mom rushes to you. "Let me see it baby!" she says with a huge smile. "See what?" you ask. "Your ring!" she says. "how.. How did you know?" you ask her. "Josh asked us if he could ask you to marry him last night, sweetheart!" she responds. You start crying and collapse into her arms, "I wasn't ready mommy, I said no." Josh was sweet enough to ask your parents permission, and you told him no. There's a burning question in the back of your mind the entire time: Will this ruin your relationship? or can you and Josh make it through this?