Werewolf Forest::Chapter 12

Start from the beginning

The front yard was crawling with people. Men (fully clothed for once) and women mingled and talked like it was a high school campus.

Wait...women?

Come to think of it...I had seen a lot of girls already. Last night the person that had yelled at Andrew...that was a girl. I had seen them all around camp when we were packing up. Why hadn't I noticed? I guess my mind was on other things.

Some people from our party ran up and hugged some of the people that were standing around. Some walked solemnly up to each other and embraced them, beginning to cry. It was a jumbled picture of sorrow and joy. The laughter of the lovers meeting after wondering if they would ever see one another again mixed with the mournful cries of those who had lost theirs.

One girl ran up to us and looked around hopefully. Her face dropped into a worried and panicked expression as she ran over to Connor. He turned to her.

"Mike?" She asked, close to tears.

Connor shook his head. "I'm sorry Rein."

Her face turned into one of absolute horror, like someone had just told her she was sentenced to death.

"No..." she muttered "no...." she ran off, her arms wrapped around her chest as if trying to keep from falling apart on the spot.

I looked up at Andrew, expecting him to explain the girl's actions.

He looked down at me with sad eyes. "Her life-mate died."

"What's a life-mate?"

"I'll explain later."

I saw another girl running towards us. Unlike the last girl she had a look of relief on her face.

"Andrew!" She called. Her curly brown hair bounced with her as she all but hopped to Andrew. She rammed into him and embraced him in a big bear hug.

"Hey Cece," he said returning the hug.

"I'm so glad you're ok!" she rejoiced. "Where's Elli?" she said nervous.

"Somewhere around here. Last time I saw her she was talking to Nick."

I stood there awkwardly while she breathed a sigh of relief in his chest.

She turned her head, resting her temple on him. Her eyes that were glowing with relief flashed to curiosity.

"Who's that?" she asked.

"This is Maggie," he answered.

Her eyes widened. "Maggie? As in Maggie, Maggie?" He nodded his head.

She looked at Andrew, waiting for him to explain. He just mouthed 'later'. She nodded and turned to me, a giddy grin plastered on her face.

"Hi, Maggie! Andrew's told me a lot about you! I'm Cecilia, but everyone calls me Cece," she stuck out her hand for me to shake and I jerked back instinctively. It had become a habit in Danny's Camp of Horrors. She pulled her hand back, confused. "Skittish, isn't she?" her smile faded as she looked up at Andrew. He stared into her eyes for a moment before her confused expression become one of realization. She looked back at me with her earthy green eyes glinting with sympathy. "Well, I better go find Elli. See you guys later." She flashed a warm smile my way before running off.

"Come on, I'll show you your new room." He grabbed my hand and led me into the house. The front doors opened up into a hallway that had a big staircase in the middle. You could still easily see the outside because of all the windows.

He led me up the stairs and to the right, down another hall way. The walls of the hall were completely bare of anything but white-eggshell color wallpaper.