Chapter 5

After dinner, dad and I retired to the lounge; the lounge was a small room, comfortable with a fire crackling in the grate and two lumpy armchairs. The armchairs were actually incredibly comfortable. "So what's this sensitive information then?" I ask a little impatiently

Dad didn't bother sitting down, instead, he went to stand by the fireplace, leaning on the mantle. "You must understand" he starts "that I cannot tell you everything but what I am about to tell you I'm telling you for your safety."

"Ok" I say slowly, my curiosity was becoming even more impatient "go on."

"You know the story of how the Potters died?" He asks.

"Yeah..."

"There was a little bit more to it than what most people know. To keep the Potters safe and hidden, Dumbledore cast an enchantment on their home in Godric's Hollow, the kind of enchantment that cannot be broken unless someone gives away the secret."

"Then he must have used the Fidelius Charm" I say "they chose a secret keeper..." I pause for a moment, letting things click into place "am I right in assuming that their secret keeper betrayed them?"

Dad nodded, looking a little solemn "his name is Sirius Black."

"The guy that just broke out of Azkaban?!"

"Yes and he's very dangerous. Word says that he's broken out of Azkaban to get to Harry and he's getting closer to Hogwarts every time he is sighted."

"Right" I frown "so, other than the fact that Harry is my friend, what has all this got to do with me?"

"Potter will be told about this in due time, Arthur will tell him, but I want to tell you that Sirius Black is a very dangerous man; he may be after Harry but I fear that, if he finds out about you, he'll want to hurt you too."

"Why?"

"To hurt me."

I sigh "dad, you've really got to start making friends not enemies; just think how little you'd need to worry about people coming after me to get to you."

"You are not taking this seriously!" He fumes, thumping the mantle with his fist, making me jump a little.

"Yes I am!" I snap back "but, dad, you have to understand that there are a lot of people out there that want to hurt you; you've added one more to the list, that's all. In any case, I will be at Hogwarts with you and Dumbledore and everyone else. I'm not worried."

"Well I am" he sniffs "so I want you to promise me that you won't wander around the grounds alone or after curfew."

"Fine" I sigh "I promise."

He raises his eyebrows at me; dad knew how fond I was at wandering around the castle and its grounds at night time, especially when I'm unable to fall asleep. "Lilly" he warns.

"I promise" I repeat.

"Good" he says, looking a little more relaxed "I have to go now but I'll see you tomorrow at the feast." I stare up at him; I knew that he'd be leaving and I knew that I'd be seeing him again in less than twenty four hours but I still felt tears well in my eyes and my bottom lip start to quiver. I had to look away from him before he noticed. "Lilly" he says softly, sounding closer to me than he had before, and I look up to see that he's kneeling in front of me.

"I'm sorry" I sniff, swiping angrily at the traitor tears that were sliding down my cheeks "it's just- with what you do-" I bite my lip "I miss you."