5

finding bruises
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My head raised from the pillow as half of my face throbbed. 'Fuck..' I thought as I struggled to open one of my eyelids thanks to the pain, using a few fingers to feel around the area and hoist the eye open enough to let a slit of sunlight in. Everywhere seemed super sore and puffy so I used my front phone camera to check my face. A purple bruise had appeared on my upper cheek and around my eye lid which made me think back to last night. "That son of a bitch!" I hissed to myself, pulling back the comforter and hopping out of bed.

After collecting my makeup bag from the desk by the door, I made my way to the dorm bathrooms at the end of the hallway. Nobody could be seen as it was 6am so I stationed myself at the sink and tried to treat my eye.
The tap began to run and my hands splashed the area with water. Then, I slavered several creams and powders over the top. However, no matter how much concealer and colour corrector I used, an undertone of purple and brown could still be seen peeping through which made me groan.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed, indicating a text had just come through. As usual, anxiety bubbled up in the pit of my stomach at the though of seeing the name 'James' in my notifications but, after peeping at the message, I realised it was Carl.

carllllll : u up?

I let a tiny smile rip and responded.

me : mhm

carllllll : we need to talk about last night

me : i rlly don't want to..

carllllll : idc meet me at the fountain in 10

me : 🙄

I locked my phone and shuffled back to my dorm with a frown on my face. Although Carl deserved to know the truth, the events of last night were still fresh wounds (literally) and I didn't know whether I was ready. Once inside, I chucked my makeup bag onto my bed and pulled on a hoodie before heading out into the cool morning air.

It was a short walk to the campus's fountain and Carl was easy to spot on the deserted path. Once he saw me, his arms extended out as if to say they were ready to engulf me in a warm hug, which I obliged to once I reached him.
"Are you okay?" He questioned into my head as my face snuggled into his chest. I remained still which made him hold me out at arms length so he could examine me. I watched his eyes dart around my face and neck, landing on my eye area. "What's that mark on your cheek?" He investigated, softly rubbing it with his warm finger. Despite trying not to give anything away, I flinched as he put too much pressure on a particularly sensitive part, watching as concern washed over his face. "What the fuck happened, V?" His voice got slightly louder and full of anxiety. "I swear to God, if James-"

"I know, it looks pretty bad. James was drunk and he slapped me because I didn't want to have sex with him. But don't worry-" I tried to reassure him but he cut me off. "I don't fucking believe it. I should've never let you out of my sight!" He started pacing with his hands behind his head."Hey, hey. Please don't worry about me! It was very out of character and won't happen again." He shook his head and looked at our hands. "I don't understand how you're not taking this situation seriously.. First of all, how are you still with him after he did this to you?" My eyes shifted to the floor in disappointment . "It's complicated.." Carl lifted my chin and stared into my soul. "How is it complicated?"

I sighed and sat down, putting my head in my hands. "Basically, I've tried to break up with James before but he.. he didn't like it so he told the whole school that I was slut.. and he keeps threatening to leak my nudes." Carl threw his hands in the air and laughed sarcastically. "What else does this son of a bitch do? He's an abusive, threatening asshole who doesn't deserve you!" He shouted.

"I know, I know.. if I could, I'd hurt him just as much as he's hurt me" These words sparked something in Carl and he started pacing again. "M..maybe you can.."

[end of chapter]

i'm tired and ready to sleeeppppp