fourteen; catching up

-Carl's POV;
I couldn't believe Bonnie was back. It had been years since she moved on from that grocery store parking lot.

We were all sat around a fire, eating hot dogs and talking. I was next to Bonnie and V was opposite. She was talking with Debbie about TV shows and Evan Peters.

"So, you upgraded from that van I'm guessing..?" I broke the silence and sat back, taking a sip of beer. She nodded and put her elbows onto her knees. "When did you move back?"

She looked past her shoulder at me and sighed. "Well, my mom got a better-paying job so we saved up and bought the cheapest house we could find. We've been here for 3 weeks now."
Bon replied. "Where've you been?"

I told her about military school and how I stopped off at V's college. "So I'll be going back soon to continue travelling. We do these assembly things across the country.." She nodded and began to stare at the fire again.

I looked up to see V peering at us through the high flames. She quickly looked away and focused on Debbie but I could tell she wasn't really listening. My eyes rolled slightly and I sat forward so me and Bonnie were at the same level.

A question had been confusing at me for sometime so I decided to ask it. "Bonnie, why did you leave so quickly?" My eyes watched as she become uncomfortable in chair.

"I...Erm..Well, it's quite complicated." She said but I could tell she was holding back. V got up and whispered something to Debbie before hugging her.

"You coming Carl?" She asked as I looked at Bonnie, then back at her. Honestly, I was torn between my girlfriend and someone I'd probably never see again. 'I can see V any day..' I thought, shaking my head.

"I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" I replied. V tried to hide how upset she was by sending me a small smile and I couldn't help but feel guilty. However, once I get back to that campus, I wouldn't see Bonnie again so I may as well spend as much time as I could with her.

-Vanessa's POV;
My stomach turned when Carl refused to come home with me. Not only was I having to walk the Chicago streets alone, but he was staying with that random girl. I covered my disappointment with a smile and turned towards the house.

The sight of them together bothered me all night long. I had been jealous at the barbecue because he was meant to be with me, not her. It all came back to me, why I didn't want to fall for Carl in the first place. He would drop me for someone else, just as he got into my pants.

"You're such a fucking idiot!" I yelled across the carriage, gaining stares from businessmen and mothers. My head leaned against the window and I watched the evening sky flow past. It kinda took my mind off of everything to see such beautiful views.

However, I was soon snapped out of it when the 'L' approached my stop. Crowds of students, ready for a night out, bustled onto the train as I left. They reminded me of how lonely I felt in that moment, to not have Carl's arm around my shoulder. Voices invaded my head, attacking my conscience.

'You're a pussy. Who needs a douche bag to take care of you? Deal with the situation and take your skinny ass home, where you really belong.'

The voices were right. I couldn't get caught up in this bullshit, Vanessa Wilkes is a young, independent woman who doesn't depend on jerks. I slightly grinned to myself before walking back to my dorm. All I had to worry about now was the big exam tomorrow..

-end of chapter;
Sorry, this chapter was kinda shitty. I'll write a better one for tomorrow xxxx