Chapter 39

A/N fair warning, you may want to keep tissues by you for this chapter. I had to stop writing multiple times so I wouldn't cry. I hate to end the story on a sad note, but there will be a sequel to make up for it.

*****
   It was the day of Lucy's funeral. I had never felt this type of sadness before, not ever. I hadn't gone to our dorm since it happened, I could not bear seeing out things. Nick went in to grab some things for me, but other than that, no one went in. Tyler was flying to LA today to comfort me. He didn't really know Lucy, but that didn't matter to him. Every day since then, when I wake up, it feels almost like everything is normal. Like I'll walk out to the kitchen and see my best friend stuffing her face before classes.

   The school was holding a memorial in her memory, though she didn't really know anyone. The LA Kings still had games to play, but Nick was taking a personal leave to be with me for a little while. That is, until I can get back to my job. Tyler took a small personal leave as well, deciding not to attend the San Jose away game tonight. Having the support was comforting, but it didn't take away the pain of waking up and knowing she wouldn't be there to crack a joke.

   I was meeting with Lucy's dad at the funeral home, he decided on having a two day service before burying her. I had to be there for 12:00pm, though it did not start until 2:30pm. He also decided on having an open casket, but I could not decide on my feelings towards that. As much as I wanted to see her, perhaps dead was not the way I would prefer. Nick and Tyler were staying behind, though, it would just be Lucy's close relatives and I for a while.

   Both Nick and Tyler were waiting in Nick's living room while I got ready. I took out a simple black dress, putting tights underneath of it as well. I looked in the mirror once it was on my frame, sighing. I suppose this was the one to wear. I put on a very light amount of makeup, being sure to make it all waterproof. I left my hair natural, not having the energy, nor courage, to spend time on it. I walked out to see the two boys, my short, black heels clicking on the floor.

"Can I get a ride to the funeral home?" I asked one  of them, keeping my eyes on the floor.

"I can take you, I might be the safest one to drive." Tyler offered. He made a fair point.

"I believe that would be best." Nick agreed with him.

   Tyler opened the door to Nick's apartment for me, keeping a hand on the small of my back before moving it to align with my own hand. We stayed in silence once we reached the elevator, and the whole way down as well. Besides a few sighs, neither of us dared to make a sound.

   Once my hand was reaching for the passenger's door handle, Tyler quickly interfered. He opened it wide for me, shutting it behind me, as well. I tried to smile, as if thanking him, but I couldn't even get out a half smile. The car ride was as silent as can be, though it wasn't uncomfortable.

   We arrived at the funeral home quite fast, which was unfortunate. I was dreading this day more than anything else. I sat in the car, preparing myself for what was still to come. Tyler places his hand on my leg in a comforting way. I sighed and looked over at him.

"I can't believe I actually have to bury my best friend 6ft underground." He gave me a sympathetic smile.

"We'll be here in a few hours, okay? It'll be okay." He tried to soothe me as a tear started to roll down my cheek. I wiped it away, but another one fell.

   I opened up the car door after a few minutes, forcing myself to get out. I waited until Tyler drove out of my eyesight before going inside. I took in a deep breath as I opened up the front doors. I kept my head down while I walked down the large hallways until I reached the room Lucy's funeral was being held in. I looked at the pictures surrounding the glass doors before entering. Her dad was already by the front, looking at his daughter. I walked up to him, not landing my eyes on Lucy just yet.