Chapter 4

I jumped excitedly around the living room and my parents rushed down the stairs to see what all of the noise was about. "I got accepted in to UCLA!" I squealed once the came into the living room.

"You didn't even tell us you applied for that school! We live in New York, how are you going to manage that?" My dad asked me.

"Well, I guess I'll be moving there in August." I said bluntly, not all that concerned about it.

"Oh, I didn't realize you wanted to move away." My mom said in a disappointed tone.

"Well of course. I'm twenty-two, its time for me to do something with my life. I'm working in a coffee shop and still not going to school. This is an great school, I need to go."

"We know, we know. It'll just be sad to see you go, sweetie." My dad said, taking me into a big hug. "We're very proud of you."

*a couple months later*

  I could hardly believe I was packing up my things to move away in a few days. I was signed up to have a dorm and everything. I was a bit nervous to have a new roommate, but it would be good for me. I had all of my classes picked and I was unbelievably excited.

'Hey! We need to hangout before you move away.' Aspen texted me.

'I agree. Tomorrow at 3?'

'Sure! I'll pick you up and we'll go shopping."

A few moments later, my mom came into my room and leaned on the wall. "Want to go to lunch?" She asked me.

I looked up from my phone. "Sure, where do you want to go?" I asked her.

"I was thinking Upland since its Californian inspired." She said, smiling. "I can't believe you're really leaving New York though."

"Upland sounds great. I'll be down in 2 minutes." I said, ignoring the last part. I knew this whole time my family was trying to guilt trip me into staying but it wouldn't work.

   I walked into my bathroom and threw my hair up in a ponytail. I put on a bit of mascara and redid my powder quickly before running downstairs.

"I'm ready, mom." I told her and waited by the front door for her.

   We walked out to the car in silence. We hadn't gone out for lunch in years, so it was a bit awkward. On our way to Upland, she asked me some questions about UCLA and the move.

"So how nervous are you for the move?"

"I don't know. At the moment, I'm just excited but I know the day before I'll be really nervous." I replied.

"What are you taking as your major, again?" She asked for the hundredth time even though she knew the answer.

"Journalism."

We drove into the parking lot and searched for a parking space. "Wow, this place is busy." She commented quietly.

   I nodded in agreement. At last, she found a parking spot and we both got out of the car. As we walked in the front door, a waiter approached us. "You two are just in time, we have one more table available." He said to us, smiling. We followed him over to it and sat down. "Here are your menus, I will be back in five minutes for your orders." He said and walked away.

"What do you think you'll order?" I asked my mom.

"I think the little gem. It sounds pretty good."

"Yeah. I'm in the mood for a salad today. I think I'll get the five lettuce 'Caesar'." I answered while still looking at my menu.

   The waiter came back a few moments later to collect our orders. After he left, my mom and I started talking about my move in a couple days again.

"Please just come visit us as often as possible. It's going to feel weird without you around."

"Obviously I will. As often as I can." I promised her.

*****