Chapter 1

*****
"You're in at 9 tomorrow, Luna!" my boss, Henry, reminded me as I walked out the front door of the coffee shop. I help up two thumbs up as I stepped onto the patio covered with snow, shivering a bit as I forgot my boots. I was in a rush that morning, as I was running late, and put on my runners.

I walked down the sidewalks, getting snowed on. Just my luck, getting off work in the middle of the blizzard. Why did I decide to walk today, of all days, I though as I rubbed my hands over my arms in an attempt to warm up. My phone blared my ringtone and I huffed, not wanting to take off my glove to answer the call, but I did so anyways.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hi, sweetie, your dad and I are going to visit your grandparents. Roman and Asa won't be home until late tonight. Claire wanted to come with us. You'll be on your own for a while tonight." My mom explained to me.

"Yes, mom. I'll be fine. I'm 22. I think I'm going to apply for a couple of schools tonight."

"That is great news! We have to go now, though, your grandparents are waiting. Love you. Bye!" She said, clearly rushing. This was nothing new, my parents leaving me on my own. It was like this practically my whole life. I was never as smart as the older two, and when Claire was born, we were all older, so it was more exciting for them to have a little one again.

I continued on my way home, the twenty minute walk felt like two hours due to the cold snow. I got up to my front porch and unlocked the front door. Walking in, I was greeted by the sweet silence. My cat, Hickory, was sleeping on the couch. Dinner was still warm, so I didn't get home long after my family left. I made a plate and sat on my couch, flipping through channels until I found something I liked.

I opened up my computer and started looking up schools after a bit. I came across UCLA's application and decided to give it a shot. I knew it was a shot in the dark, but it wouldn't hurt to try.  I finished it shortly after I finished my dinner, so I cranked up some music and tidied up the kitchen. A couple hours later, Roman and Asa walked in the front door.

"Any dinner left?" Roman asked me.

"Yeah, its in the fridge." I answered and walked up to my room. Asa walked in a few minutes after.

"So how have you been?" She asked, making my bed squeak as she sat down.

"Pretty good. I've been working almost every day and I just applied to a couple more schools. I'm hoping to move out of here soon." I replied, not taking my eyes off of my computer.

"That would be pretty cool. I was thinking, would you like to go out for breakfast tomorrow? It'll be on me."

I glanced up at her, staring me down like a hawk as she waited for my answer. We've never been awfully close, so this was quite an odd move for her. Throughout our teenage years, she didn't want to be seen around a B student.

"Sure, sounds fun. But I need to be at the coffee shop for nine." I replied as I looked back down at my laptop. She nodded, stood up and walked back out, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I shut down my computer for the night. Turning on my lamp, I pulled out my book, Suitor With a Hat, and let myself drift off to sleep slowly.

*****
A/N all cover credits and a special thank you to leaving_forever for creating the cover for me!