"I forgot tomorrow's Migration Day," I replied.

"Yeah, so?" He asked.

"That means my history class is gonna have to run through the ceremony today to make sure there's no issues," I said. Migration Day was nice and all, but I'd seen the ceremony three times already, and wasn't looking forward to my forth. It was the same thing every year: a bunch of model students get on stage and explain the glorious history of Alvion while younger students act it out in the background. People sing songs, do dances, recite poetry. All that. It's a good learning experience for first years, but it's just repetition for fourth years like me. I reminded myself that it was the last time I would need to sit through it until I graduated, but it didn't really make me feel any better.

"You're just grouchy because you never got to be the Speaker," Josh said.

"I could have been the Speaker if I wanted to, I have enough CPCs. Just wait until you're watching it for the billionth time," I replied, elbowing his ribs.

We got to school as the bell rang, just in time for me to slip into the auditorium with the rest of my class. Those who weren't participating or help backstage more or less had a free period, as long as they stayed in the auditorium. I slouched into a seat and kicked my boots up on the row in front of me. Maybe I could get a little sleep. No, I reminded myself, sleep is too painful. I tapped a pencil against the armrest, half listening to the petite girl on stage.

"Happy Migration Day!" She bubbled into a staff with a strange rectangular bulb at the top. Her voice echoed throughout the large room and I realized she must have been using one of those new microphones. I didn't even know the school had money for one of those, but at least it would make this year a little more exciting.

"My name is Sadie," the girl continued "And I hope you're ready to migrate your thoughts over to our history lesson!"

No one laughed at her wordplay. I would have felt bad, but she continued unfazed.

"As we all know, Alvion came to be through the Great Migration three hundred nineteen years ago! But what caused us to found this great nation? Well, it all started with the Ekotian Civil War!"

I rolled my eyes at the thought of hearing the same story I'd heard a million times before.

"The native Ekotians were a nasty group of people that wanted the country all to themselves. They were powerful, too! Some say they were immortal! We tried to fight them, but they were too strong. So we left across the sea, and found the glorious nation of Alvion, and protected ourselves behind strong walls, so they could never hurt us again!"

A few people clapped half heartedly, so she continued.

"In the capital city of Nessun, our chancellor-"

"Psst!"

I glanced around, confused. I didn't see anyone.

"Psst!" This time it was much louder.

I turned around to see Josh poking his head through the doorway. No one noticed him. My eyes widened.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered.

He motioned for me to join him. I glanced around to make sure no one was watching and grabbed my bag, tiptoeing out of the auditorium.

"Why aren't you in class?" I asked grabbing his shoulder.

"I had to go to the bathroom. And you looked bored," He replied.

I shook my head. "Get back to class. I'll get in trouble if I get caught and so will you."