Chapter 1

"Nisa!"

My eyes flew open and I shot forward, just barely missing a collision with Josh's forehead. He stumbled backwards, just out of harm's way. I rubbed my face, trying to get a bearing on where, when, and why I was awake. I glanced at Josh standing at the base of my bed, in full uniform.

I sighed loudly. "I overslept again, didn't I?"

Joshi nodded meekly.

I groaned. "Thanks for waking me and all, but you couldn't have done it a little sooner?" I glanced at the clock on the wall. "You left me fifteen minutes to get my ass together."

"I didn't realize you were still asleep," he shrugged.

"Alright, out," I said, shooing him out the door. "Let Ravi know I'll be downstairs as soon as possible." I crawled out of bed, hastily raking my hands through my short hair. By some stroke of luck, I had laid out my uniform on the chair last night, which wasn't like me. Even if I hadn't, it wasn't hard to find the dark blue blazer and the bright yellow pants. I got dressed and grabbed my bag, scurrying down the stairs as fast as I could. Mr. Patil was waiting for me at the bottom.

"Morning, Ravi," I said, trying to slip past him, which was like trying to run through a brick wall. The enormous police detective glared down at me in his uniform. Normally, Ravi was a pretty mellow guy, but something about his police uniform always made me slightly uneasy. I tried to look him in the eye, but I could only manage his bushy moustache.

"Nisa, you're late again," he said sternly.

"Sorry, rough night," I mumbled, so Josh wouldn't hear me from the other room.

Ravi shook his head and sighed. "Nisa, it's been almost ten years. Maybe you should consider moving their picture away from your bed."

I sighed and shrugged. Ravi put his hand on my shoulder gave me a small smile.

"Joshi! Are you ready?" Ravi called. Before Josh had even replied, someone knocked at the front door. Ravi knit his eyebrows and pulled open the door, greeting the young police officer outside. Josh hurried into the foyer, shoveling a pastry into his mouth, just catching the end of their hushed conversation. I couldn't make out a word of it, but Josh had a suspicious glint in his eyes.

Ravi shut the door and turned to face us, frowning as he looked over Josh. He had crumbs on his blazer. Ravi sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Joshi Patil, you better dust those crumbs off before you get to school. No son of my will leave this house in a dirty jacket," he nagged. Josh smiled sheepishly and scampered out the door. I shrugged at Ravi and followed Josh out the door. He was waiting for me at the bottom of the steps with his eyebrow raised.

I shrugged. "What?"

"What were you two talking about in the hallway?" He asked.

"None of your business," I said, starting down the cobblestone street. The grey morning light always made the brick apartments lining the street look so much older than they were. I glanced up at the clocktower down the street to make sure we had enough time. I must have spaced off, because Josh was tapping my shoulder.

"Huh?" I asked.

"I said 'it's my business because he's my dad'," He answered back.

I rolled my eyes. "For someone only a few years younger than me, you sure do act like a kid."

"Hey! I'll be seventeen in a couple months!" He said.

I snorted and stared at the ground, thinking about my classes for the day, and I suddenly remembered what week it was. I groaned loudly.

"What?" Josh said.