She's a Shark... Or a Hunter?

Dedicated to fellow writer and hopeful-correspondent-and-adviser? Tomato_shoes. :) She is very knowledgeable in werewolf law and dynamics that are necessary in this story and I couldn't find anyone more equipt than her. :) She's awesome.

Lucas Heppner

"Homer! Homer!" A young woman shrieked, barely succeeding in pulling off her dog on me. She grabbed it by the scuff and managed to pry it off my arm. It whimpered in pain from the pinch but stood in front of her protectively, growling menacingly despite its short height. Its long ears bent back flat against its skull, its muzzle exposing red stained set of jaws protruding from its lips. It barked a loud warning, demanding I leave its territory, out of natural possessiveness of its domain and protective nature of the beautiful girl who could barely contain his rage with her bare hands.

From my blurred vision I could see a long, thick wave of brown fall off her bare shoulders and over her breasts which were unfortunately covered by a loose, unfitted one-shoulder tee that did her body no justice. I would've taken the opportunity to flirt if it wasn't for the burning sensation coursing through to my torn arm, thanks to the mutt in her possession.

"God damn it, watch your fucking dog," I spat at her, clutching my torn arm. Suddenly her voice changed, from frantic to ice cold, sending chills up my spine.

"He was doing what he was meant to do, guarding our house from nosy sons-of-bitches like you who disregard the no trespassing warnings posted along my property line. You must have seen at least one on the trees you were hiding behind like a little coward. I live on a 3 acre plot of land, not much considering I used to live of a farm, but in Virginia, especially near the capitol, 3 acres is a lot. I paid the extra money for the space so I wouldn't be bothered with people like you who think they can disrespect me and my property. Be grateful I didn't call the cops, or worse, use my Colt on you instead. Good old rural justice," she said cruelly, glaring at my weakened body as if I were a disgusting cockroach. "No scram before I reconsider using my dog on you."

"Your dog can't do shit," I challenged, sitting up right. I glared at both of them, mostly the dog which continued to rant through irritated yips and barks. When I looked up at his owner but found my gaze softening when I noted her feminine features. Big, womanly eyes, with the most unusual moss green I had ever seen. It was a rare color and it made her unique. Her hair was careless, tossed freely over her shoulders in a beautiful display of length and depth, reflecting the sun's merciless rays with natural red tones embedded in her main dark brown base. Her face was round and delicate, soft in angles and child-like but her brows were thin and intense, sharp and narrow like a knife and close together in frustration.

"Your arm says otherwise," she retorted with straight, harsh eyes. I found the thin layer of black overlapping her top lip captured the intense color of her pupils and multiplied the same degree of the emotion when she narrowed her eyes, making the small, petite woman seem even slightly dangerous. "I would've helped you but because of your choice of words towards my dog and I, you can find your own way to the hospital."

I was surprised by her actions, stunned actually when she was turning around and leaving me behind to fend for myself.

"Hey, I'm sorry, okay? I was just mad. Please, can you help me? I don't need a doctor, just a bandage."

She looked me over, contemplating her decision by comparing me with her dog that had succumbed to his master's authority and had started towards the door, her in tow. She tightened her eyes, scrunching her nose and pressing her pouty lips into a firm line for a second before releasing a heavy sight.

"Fine," she complied, "but you're not coming inside my house. I don't want that mess anywhere inside because I just cleaned it."

I nodded and struggled to get up, trying my best not to put too much pressure on my wounded arm. The dog had really taken me by surprise when it charged. It came out of nowhere! And suddenly it jumped in the air, tackling my feet and tripped me, like a cattle dog does. I held my arms up in defense and the dog took it inside its vice-grip jaws, shredding it to pieces as it shook its head as a crocodile would death-role to rip meat up off its prey. It hurt like a bitch, to say the least. When she burst through the bushes, tumbling into the chaos, it was like an angel had arrived to spare me.