'Well, this is awkward....' He muttered, looking sheepish. Wait a minute, did he just..?

'I tried to read your mind but something happened and I got pushed out.' I blurted. In hindsight I probably should have thought that through a little more. Now he knew I had been trying to get into his mind. I just hoped he didn't take that as some sort of compliment.

'Oh. I'm not sure what an appropriate reply to that would be.' He seemed to genuinely mean it, not in a sarcastic way.

'It's just, when I saw you in the library I recognized what you were doing. What it looks like, and I saw you out here and I decided to see what you wanted before I came out here.' I hastened to explain myself; I didn't want him getting any ideas. He listened to this calmly, nodding once as if he agreed with my methods.

'Ok, well that makes sense. So then you heard I just wanted to talk, right?' And was not a creepy stalker, was an unspoken addition to that sentence.

'Well, sort of. I dunno what happened but you wanted to knock on our door. You were persuading yourself to do it, Then, I dunno something happened. And I was out of your mind, and I didn't pull myself out.' My half hearted attempt to explain what had happened in my bedroom, seemed to be of great interest to Alex. I was reluctant to expand any further, after all, I had JUST met this guy. I didn't want him thinking he had some power that stopped me entering his mind, but what if he did? I hoped he didn't.

'Well, actually. I think I felt you, in my mind. I know I felt something...' He trailed off, looking embarrassed. He rubbed his temple, it seemed to be an unconscious gesture.

'Well, I don't know what happened. Maybe I was just stressed or something.' I suggested. It was the truth, I had been stressed, but that had never had any affect on my ability before. Or maybe its HIM, maybe he's too powerful. The thought floated across my brain, without my conscious mind having created it. I shook my head, trying to ignore the sinking feeling that had settled in my stomach.

'Yeah, maybe.' He mused aloud. I shivered, the cold was starting to get to me. I hadn't thought to put gloves on.

'I should probably go back inside now.' I gestured vaguely back towards my house, not taking my gaze from his. He nodded slightly.

'But maybe, we should, y'know, establish some...ground rules.' I didn't want to come across as bossy, but I also didn't want him thinking he could go right on ahead and dig into my thoughts like an all-you-can-eat buffet.

'Ground rules?' He knit his brows together, seemingly confused.

'Yeah, like we DON'T listen to each others thoughts. Sound good?' I waited expectantly for his reply. For a moment I had an odd feeling that he was going to disagree with me.

'Yep, that's fine with me.' Relief. A smile played around his lips.

'Ok, good. We definitely need to talk more, of course....' I bit my lip, thinking hard. We would have to talk more at school. It was the most private place I could think of, and by private I meant private from my family. I was going to have to do something about Amber though.

'Really? Good, cuz I thought for a moment there you were just trying to get rid of me. And I thought that we had loads more to talk about, not basing that on today's conversation of course. Not that it was bad but-' He caught sight of my widened eyes, he really could talk. A lot.

'Sorry, when I get nervous I talk a lot.' He grinned sheepishly at me, I couldn't help but smile back. He reminded me of Amber.

'I can see that. I really have to go, but we could talk more on Monday?' I was already checking the street was clear to cross.