Backstories

When I got my mark, everyone assumed it was a girl. After all, it said Ashley, right? They all seemed surprised that I wasn't paired with Juliet. I mean, we were as close as 2 people could get without becoming one, in a sense, so why wouldn't we be together? She's one of the Singles. A Single is someone who isn't paired with another. There weren't that many Singles in the world, but there was still some. Apparently, until today, everybody thought Ash was a Single.

That would make sense. People with disorders, like OCD, depression, bipolar, stuff like that, well, they tended to be placed alone, instead of with someone who'd have to put up with all these things. For us, an elective mute placed with someone suffering from OCD, it kinda made perfect sense. There was one thing that confused me about all of it. Strange how it was the only thing that stood out about this.

Ashley and I were both straight. I mean, if one of us was straight, it'd be a little bit more common. Usually, it's just someone who's in the closet. But both of us? I'll admit; Ashey's really cute. He's funny too. We have a lot in common. But there's this one girl that I've seen several times today; Kina Tavorozi.

Every time Ash lays eyes on her, I can tell that he's interested. And I know I've only just met the guy. But I'm a little jealous. But...I'm attracted to women. Take Jules for example: she's cute, funny, smart, kind, and overall perfect. Jake slapped my arm, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"You okay? You zoned out and started blushing." Shit. I nodded, my vocal chords once again failing me. "So, uh, Ash...would you still like to hang out with me? I mean, let's ignore the marks. Maybe they're about other people, not each other. You're pretty cool, and I'd like to get to know you better." I mumbled, toying with the edge of my shirt.

He smiled and laughed. "Sure, why not. Here, tomorrow, I'll walk home with you. We can work on our music project." He said with a grin. To be honest, that smile turned my brain to mush. "Awesome. My "parents" won't be home for the next few weeks, so it'll be fine."

He frowned. "Your parents just leave you alone like that?" I shrugged. "I'm used to it." "Andy, that's not good. You should come stay with me sometimes! My grandparents are really nice!" He giggled, bouncing in his seat.

I won't lie; hearing him say my name in that almost longing way...yeah. It did things I wasn't proud of. Thankfully, it wasn't noticeable and faded almost immediately. 'Well, you two are getting along nicely." Jake laughed as Ella came up behind him. I ignored her; I wasn't fond of her, and the feeling was mutual. I thought she was too trashy, but if she made Jake happy-which she obviously did-then I'd put up with her. Sammi looped her arms over Jinxx's shoulders, placing a kiss on his lips before whispering in his ear.

She looked up and saw Ash and I and grinned. "Hey! I'm having a party on Saturday, and you guys should definitely come! Ya know, to let off steam." She shrugged as if it were not big deal. I couldn't help but smile; I like Sammi. She was nice, and she meant the world to Jinxx. "Uh, sure.

"I'll drag Andy along." Ashley chuckled, earning an incredulous look from me. "What? Oh come on, you want to go!" Fine. I'm not talking around them. Besides, I think my throat's giving out a little. It hurts a lot. 

He laughed, startling the others. "Yeah, cause you haven't used it in 10 years. You'd think it would." He muttered into my ear to not alert the others. As he pulled back, I was blushing furiously. He poked my nose. What was that for?! "I don't know.

"You look pokeable." Pokeable? Is that even a word? He shrugged. "I dunno. It is now." CC snickered from across the table. It was strange that he had been quiet for this long.

"What are you laughin' at?" Ashley asked, puffing out his chest in an attempt to look mock-intimidating. CC burst out laughing. "You two are getting along really well. I can see the wrists." We both looked at him as he gestured to us. Mine was starting to change slightly. If you were in possession of a coloured one, it would change colour when you started getting feelings for the other.

Mine? Was gathering a bluish tinge to it. I shoved the sleeves of my leather jacket down, balling my fists around the edge. Shit. I know I'm one to get attached quickly, but this? This was ridiculous! Right?