Mate of Honor ch. 6

Start from the beginning

            Roxie stood, rubbing her hands together as they itched to create something magnificent. Roxie was artistic, from her cooking majesties to her ability to make a prom dress out of random material scraps and any extra cloth that could be cut off their clothes. With one hand she motioned to Rosie a simple wave that had become a well known signal between them over the years. Rosie turned around giddy with excitement, briefly explaining to the women to turn around as well. Roxie would create a master piece, but only if no one else was watching.

            Roxie brushed her hand over an assorted grouping of flowers and spotted the ones she wanted. A vast white flower sprawled itself out over a bed of red as dropping white like falling snow on willow tree branches hung perfectly around the edges creating a hanging halo. Tying it altogether in a bunch and grabbing one of the ribbons the women had been playing with she tied it in a neat bow.

            “Rosie, you owe me big time for this one.” Roxie muttered moving some petals around in final touches. Rosie would love it, that Roxie was sure of.

            “Well you better let me see it to confirm then.” Rosie’s voice teased filled with anxious anticipation.

            “Turn around then,” Roxie smiled holding out the bouquet in front of her for Rosie to see. There was a moment of silence as Rosie stared at the flowers before bursting into tears.

            Miranda and Josie both jumped exchanging worried glances. Rosie sniffled and pulled Roxie into a bone crushing hug squeezing the breath out of her, hardly minding the poor bouquet that Roxie barely managed to save.

            “I was…” sob, “So worried,” sob, “that you wouldn’t get involved at all. I thought you would just walk away and then…” Roxie pat her sister’s back lovingly, resting her head against her twins allowing their curls to twist together.

            “I’m not going anywhere, I promise.” Roxie murmured, not missing the gleam of satisfaction in Josie’s eyes at her words. “At least not until the wedding is over.” It was all she could do not to laugh at the resulting scowl that came to Josie’s face.

            It was soon to be replaced by a knowing look, or more of a challenging look. Josie held in a smirk, she was definitely challenging Roxie to hold out that long. She knew from experience just how long Roxie would last in this game. Male wolves loved a chase after all, and Roxie was running fast.

            “So you like the flowers dear?” Miranda questioned when Rosie calmed down and gazed at the bouquet examining every inch. “It is perfect. I love it. You are a genius Roxie. Can you make up a center piece while I go hunt down the shop owner?”

            Roxie nodded and watched her twin link arms with Miranda, winding through the maze of flower rows in search of the florist. “What’s your game plan?”

            Roxie thought about ignoring the question but figured it undoable, “Game plan?”

            “For not being Hunter’s mate,” Roxie had to admire Josie’s fearless attitude. She got straight to the point, no fluff and all truth.

            “I don’t exactly have a ‘game plan’. This isn’t a game.”

            Josie laughed, “Then you certainly don’t know enough about wolves or men. This is definitely a game dear, a great challenge, one he’ll take very seriously with the prize waiting for him if he wins. They’re dogs my dear, they love chasing and fetch.”

            Roxie let out a sound of annoyance and eyed Josie suspiciously. “And you condone this behavior?”

            Josie’s lips twitched for a moment before she burst out laughing. Roxie stared on perplexed at what she did to bring about such laughter. “I’m sorry Roxie, but you sounded older than me for a moment. In fact, you sounded a lot like my mother did whenever she’d scold me.”