The scar

I woke up the next morning realizing that I had fallen asleep on top of my cot, still in my jumpsuit and boots.

I put on my clean jumpsuit, and slid on a red T-shirt.

At the digging site, the sun felt unusually hot.

Zigzag stood at the top of my hole.

I turned around and heard a loud BANG! I turned around again to see him collapsed on the ground.

My face turned the same color as my shirt.

"Why the hell does this keep happening to me!" I shouted.

X-ray came over to me. "Do you ever learn?"

"I admit this happens to me more than a normal person."

Twitch came over too. "This happened to him more than once?"

I looked at him."Surprisingly, yes."

I grabbed Zig's arm and dragged him toward a finished hole.

"Armpit, can you help me?" Armpit picked up Zigzag and lowered him into the shade of the hole.

"Thanks." I had enough practice with this situation to know what to do.

I took my bandana off, poured water on it, and held it to the base of his neck. There wasn't anything except a small scrape, but it didn't hurt to check.

He rose into consciousness slowly.

"Zigzag! Oh god, I guess that you're probably wondering why I end up constantly accidentally maiming you. " I said with a worried look.

"You're fine." He said.

"But you're not. Here sit up." I told him.

I sat behind him and massaged his shoulders. He rolled his neck and I heard a loud crack.

"Ouch." I said as I started rubbing the upper part of his shoulders.

"Yeah."

My hands traveled down his spine to the small of his back. I touched the place where the scar was, and he flinched.

I decided to go up to the middle of his back, I massaged there for a while. My hands then returned to his lower back, and my hand trailed over the mark. He winced again.

I got up and sat In front of him.

"I saw the scar, what's going on?"

"It's not important."

"It's important if you wince every time I touch it."

"It's nothing, really."

"Come on."

"Alright fine. But this is between you and me."

"Completely."

He turned and faced me. "The other reason that I'm here is that I killed someone."

"Ricky, I-."

"He was my stepfather and he would hurt me and my sisters." He would threaten us and beat us."

I gave him a sad look.

"One night, I see him walking up the stairs to my youngest sister Sadie's room. He was holding a knife."he paused. The memory must've been too painful for him to bear. But he continued.

"I knew he wasn't going to kill her, but he was definitely going to hurt her. I saw him open the room door. Satie screamed. I ran over and jumped on top of him. I ended up tackling him to the floor. He tried slicing and stabbing at me, but I dodged him. He sliced the knife over my lower back, which created the scar you saw." He paused and continued.

"When I was on the ground, he went over to Satie, and made a slow, long cut down the side of her arm. And another down the base of her neck, and a final one across her forehead. the gashes bled and bled until she lost so much blood she started to black out" He stopped.

"Sadie was only seven." She couldn't defend herself from a grown man. I tackled my stepfather again and wrenched the knife away. I kicked him and when I was sure I could handle what would happen...." He waited a long time before continuing" I brought the knife down hard on his chest. he writhed, wrenched and screamed for a while. I didn't wait to see what would happen next because I picked Sadie up and got my two other younger sisters and ran to the neighbors house. I told them to watch my sisters while I ran back to the house."

"I still remember my sister, Allie holding onto my leg saying "Ricky don't go, he'll hurt you."Allie was only eight and she was a very smart kid, but I wanted to see how much trouble I'd be in."

"I walked back to the house to see my mother in the doorway, she was crying her eyes out. I saw police cars and paramedics carrying a covered body on a stretcher. I'd killed my stepfather."

"My mom knew how much he's hurt us, because he'd hurt her too. She asked what happened and I showed her what David had done to Sadie. She was completely appalled."

The judge gave me two years here. I always remember dreaming about David coming back from the dead and hurting my family. I can't take it."

I hugged him.

"Ricky, I'm so sorry, if there was anything I could do I swear-." He cut me off by pushing his lips against mine. We kissed for minutes on end and it was unlike any feeling I'd ever experienced. His tongue found the bottom of my lip and placed itself there as if asking for entrance. I allowed it in and it found mine.

We finally stopped and got up.

"Better get back to digging." I told him. "But thank you for telling me. It must've been hard."

"Sure."

We got out of the hole and returned to our own.

I thought about his sisters, if he really wanted to see if they were still okay why didn't he just write them a letter.

I was sort of wondering how my family was doing too. Maybe I could also write them a letter . I really did miss my brothers.

My mom died of cancer when she was really young. It wasn't long after I was born actually. It was just my brothers and my single dad. I really wish I could've met her.

My brother Charlie keeps on telling my dad that he needs to get back out there, but I think he's still sad about my mom. Even though its been eighteen years. I now how he feels. I miss her too.

I have six brothers they're awesome but sometimes I wish I could've had an older sister too.

My brother Michael is a college graduate and is currently married. He's the oldest.

Andrew is a senior in college and is studying Zooology.

Jake and Ryan are both sophomores in college and are twins. Jack is studying pediatrics while Ryan is going to be a surgeon.

Charlie is training at a gourmet chef school

Austin is a comedian at a nightclub.

I really do miss my family