Chapter Nineteen

Note:

So, I once sent a message that said watch the music video of Midnight Memories by One Direction and make sure it breaks Miley's record.

Well, sadly, we didn't break the record. And the message also said that the consequence of not breaking the record is an unexpected chapter.

Well, here it is.

*smirks evilly* Enjoy. (Anthony's tone on the Pimp for Prom music video introduction by Smosh.)

—————

Chapter Nineteen

ASPEN AND I STRAIGHTENED OURSELVES as Maxon narrowed his eyes. "Officer Aspen Leger." The way he said that sounded so bitter. He approached Aspen who was frozen in place just as I was. What was Maxon doing?

Maxon clasped his hands behind himself, his gaze not leaving Aspen. "Soldier, why are you visiting a daughter of Illéa in that attire?"

Aspen blinked back into reality. "I apologize for being out of uniform, sir." He stared ahead of him, not daring to glance anywhere else. "As soon as I had been relieved from probation, I went here after the king spoke to me, said that Lady America needed me to help her remember something that might be vital information to overcome the renegades. These were the clothes I wore in that room and I had not had the chance to change my attire, sir."

Maxon pursed his lips, unsure to doubt or believe Aspen. I stared at him as he stared at the guard who was staring at nothing.

"We were only talking about that tattoo I had mentioned a while ago; nothing else. In fact, he was just about to leave." I gestured to Aspen and the door, but no one else moved. So I let my hand fall to my side as Maxon never took his eyes off of Aspen.

"Well, I am sorry for interrupting your little feast of argument. I only wanted to check on Lady America as Doctor Blue is currently busy trying to find an instant cure for her influenza. For now, -" Maxon turned to face me after I gasped. Argument? So he might have overheard us. And influenza? What was that? All I knew was that I had fever. Maxon's look was blank as he continued speaking. " - you will take one of these drugs every six hours. Doctor Ashlar, the other doctor, said to make sure you have eaten something before you take them."

I nodded, then he put the container of the pills on the nightstand when I didn't move. I watched him, observing every move. Maxon's eyes looked glossy; like he could cry. How much has he heard?

He looked away and stepped one foot forward to walk away but stopped. He spoke over his shoulder with his back facing us. "I would like an explanation before I leave."

Before I could speak, Aspen asked, "Excuse us, Your Majesty, but what should we explain?"

"That argument." Maxon made it sound like it was that easy. But it truly was not.

I pretended as if I didn't know. "We weren't arguing, were we?" I asked, turning to the unmoving guard.

"From what I have heard, it seemed so. In fact, you were practically screaming," Maxon said.

I didn't have to ask. And I didn't want to. But I needed closure. "You eavesdropped?" I whispered with my voice cracking.

I watched as he shrugged in response. "Basically, I just overheard your shouts and became a tad interested so I took the moment to find out what it is that you might have been hiding."

I almost pounced on him. He was too nonchalant. If only looks could hurt, Maxon would be beaten up by my glares by then.

I gritted my teeth in ire and said, "No. You took the moment to pry through my secrets and neglect my privacy. Of course, you know what the word privacy means, do you not? No, you know what it is. In fact, everyone deserves to have their own privacy, even the Eights themselves." I stopped myself before I could yell at him, too.