Chapter Eight

Author's Note:

Songs for the chapter:

     » Same Mistakes - One Direction

     » Broken - Secondhand Serenade

     » Vulnerable - Secondhand Serenade

     » The Other Side of the Door - Taylor Swift

     » Honeymoon Avenue - Ariana Grande

Merry Christmas, everyone! Happy Holidays for those who don't celebrate. :) x

—————

Chapter Eight

DURING BREAKFAST ON THE NEXT day, Maxon tugged his ear. I returned the action and went back to my meal. After eating, I decided to take a stroll around the gardens.

“Hey,” a squeaky voice said behind me. I turned around, surprised at the sight of the person in front of me. Why is she even here? I raised my eyebrows at her. “I figured you might be here.”

“Yes, Celeste. So how may I help you?”

“Oh, it’s easy actually. Just go back to Carolina. At least you will be home. Don't you miss it? Because I do.” She was somewhat frowning at me. She looked at me and her eyes softened.

For a second there, she sounded and looked like she genuinely cared. But I knew there was something wicked underneath that façade. I wouldn’t fall for her tricks this time. “I do, too, Celeste. But I can’t. And I won’t. I want to win this.”

Her light brown eyes were then filled with rage. She grabbed my arm. “Listen, Singer. I will find one way or another just to make you go home. If not home, then you will go straight to hell.”

I fought back a wince and pulled my arm away from her. “I will meet you there. You can even wait for me because you will be there first.”

I turned around to walk away but my wince finally came out when I felt a strong pull on my wrist. Her long nails were digging on my pulse. I was facing her again.

I pulled away again and rubbed on my wrist. That’s going to leave a mark, I’m sure.

“Stop,” she ordered as if she had authority over me. I tried not to roll my eyes at her. “When I’m princess, I will make sure to torment you for treating me like this.”

If, Celeste. Just ‘if’, not ‘when.’ Don’t keep your hopes and self-esteem too high. You will be disappointed.”

She snickered. “Do you actually think that you will be the princess? You are a disgusting creature! A filthy Five! No, honey, I will be the princess. You and Maxon go out on days because there are cameras around. He sometimes sneaks out at dawn to meet me.”

I was just so pissed at her that I felt my nails digging onto my palm. My fists were so tight and shaking and I was ready to hit her. But I kept it to myself.

Does Maxon actually sneak out for her?

No, I will not believe her. For all I know, she might be even making stories up to provoke me like what happened with Anna Farmer. No. I don’t want to believe her.

“Whatever, Celeste. But one more thing, I’m sure there will be no one to comfort you when you will be sobbing that Maxon does not choose you. I would rather like it if it were Elise or Kriss, if not me, that will win; just not you, Celeste. You are just all looks and shape. But where are the intellectual characteristic, and the attitude, Celeste? A princess is not about only about how she looks. It is about what one can offer to the world and who she is inside. You don’t have that in you, Celeste.”