Chapter Eighteen

EARLY UPDAAAATE!!

Too early, in fact. But this does not come without compensation. Sorry!

So if you're not ready for some tension, don't read until I post Chapter Twenty which would be posted in... *starts counting* 20 or so days. But why twenty days? Well...

READ THE NOTE AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER!! IT'S IMPORTANT.

By the way, the Selection Stories is already available. Go and read it! Also, when you're reading The One Chapter One on it, I recommend listening to Kiera. Just so because it seems awesome and like it really has emotion. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahDxGFqPx7g&feature=youtube_gdata_player <--- that's the link

Also, this is THE REAL America Singer. She modelled the covers... So pretty!!  ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voETcRwUPT4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also, did you know that the actor for Plutarch in Catching Fire and Mockingjay has passed (as Ethan Wate's mom, Lila Jane Evers Wate, would say). R.I.P., Philip Hoffman.

... Okay, so that was one long note intro. I think the note at the end is shorter...

By the way, do you guys want to see the dress I wore for prom? Let's just pretend it is what America is wearing from Chapter Sixteen onwards.

Anyway, enjoy if you're up to some tension.

—————

Chapter Eighteen

I SMILED BACK WITHOUT HESITATION. But I had to restrain myself from hugging him. Instead, I put my hand on my chest and sighed in relief. "Aspen," I said, my eyes searching for any sign than he was hurt. He was in casual clothes, looking exactly the same old Aspen I remembered. "You're alright."

He nodded. "Indeed, I am. So thank you, Mer."

I shook my head, opening the door wider to let him enter. "I only did what I had to do. I was just being honest."

"And smart," he added as he stepped in the room and I closed the door silently. He looked around before at me.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at his comment and scoff. "Well, I was not really alone back there. Elise had helped defend you."

He rose his eyebrows, intrigued. "Defend me? And why would she do that when she barely knows me?"

I shrugged. "Do you remember those self-defense lessons? Well, she noticed us talking on the first morning and after the lesson, she talked to me; asked me who you are and how we knew each other."

He shrugged. "Okay," he muttered. "I find that weird. But I assume she is like a friend now?"

"Perhaps she is." I nodded.

"Perhaps?" Aspen echoed with a questioning look and tone. I shrugged.

"It's all a competition, Aspen. For all we know, she might be faking all those friendly gestures just to befriend me, then when she thinks she is close enough to her goal, she would be backstabbing me. Easy as that."

"But," Aspen tried to reason but I just ignored him as I looked out through the balcony. I only caught on a few words like "truth"and "loyal" before his next words took my attention back to him. "Life is too complicated and it is hard to know who to trust and who your friends are."

I stared at him, remembering Louise's words to me before I had left.

"Be careful out there. Just remember who the real enemy is and know who your friends are.”