[Chapter 3] Not On Our Side

-Idris's POV-

Being in that void gave me a lot of time to reflect. Reflect on the kind of person I was. Reflect on how I lost all of my witches and wizards at that dreaded battle. Reflect on how much I hated Kalel, my daughter Rachael, and the prophecy girl. I thought I was going to rot away here. Alone. Miserable. My revenge not taken out on those people. Until one day when someone found me.

I looked up and saw a person dressed in an all black cloak that covered their face. I thought it was death, finally coming and freeing me from this madness. They extended their hand out to me, but said nothing. I gently placed my hand in theirs and rose to my feet.

"Who are you?" I inquired.

"Someone who knows we don't deserve to be in the shadows any longer," They replied, their voice deep and mysterious. I smirked as we disappeared from the void and reappeared in the castle I'd missed dearly.

I felt to the floor, tears streaming down my cheeks in joy. I looked back up at the person and saw they had taken their hood down. I rose my eyebrow in confusion.

"I know what you're thinking," The person said as they began to circle around me, "Who is this person? Why did they help me?" They bent down in front of me, "Well, legend says you're The Phoenix. Dies, only to rise more powerful and angry than before. And, Idris, we need you. You're our ticket out of this half-world we live in."

I gulped, "Tell me who you are first."

"Well..." The person rose to their feet and crossed their arms over their chest, "If you must know, I'm someone who's knows your daughter Rachael quite well."

"Are you a friend of hers?"

"Used to be. It's kind of a long story," They stood up and began to walk away, "Oh, and Idris? With our shared hatred for her, we'll go far. I know we will..."

"May I at least get your name?" I called out to them.

The person stopped in their tracks and glanced over their shoulder at me, "You can call me K."

-Natalie's POV-

"Did you just say my mom is coming back?" I was barely able to say I was so astonished. "You're joking. My mom's dead."

"She's The Phoenix," Kalel added, "That means she dies and comes back, stronger and angrier than before."

"What are we going to do then?" Ian proposed.

I went into this trance as I got a glimpse of the future.

I was standing in a straight line with six other people. Anthony, Ian, Sam, Sam's grandfather, a wizard named Shane, and Kalel. Rachael and Joey were across from us, and behind them, an entire army of people I've never seen before, all brainwashed to do whatever they say. And to our right and Rachael and Joey's left was my mother with her army of witches and wizards. Another witch, K stood beside her, but something was off about her, as if she was in pain.

I gasped as I came back to.

"What? What'd you see?" Ian asked me, snapping me back into reality.

"They're going to be against us," I told them, sitting down on the edge of the bed, "They're not going to be on our side anymore!"

"Who's not going to be on our side anymore?" Kalel inquired.

"Rachael and Joey!" I cried, covering my face with my hands as an awareness filled the room.

"What do you mean?" Anthony questioned, "What do you mean they're not going to be on our side? They're one of us. They've got to be on our side!"

I shook my head, "No. They're not one of us anymore...they never were..."

-Rachael's POV-

I kicked down the door to the house and walked right in. Luckily no one was here, I mean, they haven't been for months. The only issue I should have would be the neighbors getting suspicious. But then again, the neighbors haven't been there for months either.

I stumbled into the bathroom and clung onto the sides of the sink, slowly looking up in the mirror positioned on the wall. Red eyes. Dark brown hair. The burning black dress. The little sliver of the witch I used to be was fading away. And I don't think it ever was going to come back.

I smashed the mirror to pieces out of rage and rushed out of the bathroom. I stormed out of the house and was on the run again. Before I could get far, I heard his voice. "Don't."

I stopped in my tracks and looked behind me. No one. I looked to my right. No one. To my left. No one. I turned back around and jumped to see Joey standing in front of me.

"Don't you dare even think about doing that," He told me, sticking his finger in my face.

I swatted it away and questioned, "How'd you find me anyways? You only know how to feel the old Rachael. Not this one."

"Actually, you might have known how to feel the old Joey," He snapped back. I rose my eyebrow in confusion. "There's a reason I ran away from my grandpa and my sister a while back, Rachael. And it's the same reason you're running away right now." I couldn't help but notice the things I hadn't before - the similar red eyes, the burning clothing, the dark hair.

"Oh my god, Joey...you're...you're..."

"Going to take you somewhere," He finished my sentence and held his hand out to me.

"Where are taking me?" I inquired, hesitating to place my hand in his.

"Somewhere I know we'll be safe," He answered with a smirk.