Cat and Mouse

Update day, ladies!! ENOJY!!!! :D

DISCLAIMER: I only own Lana Graham and my own twist on the Captain America movie :)

“How are you, sweetheart?” Peggy asked me over the phone as I wrapped myself tighter in my afghan. I had the telephone in one hand and a piping hot cup of coffee in the other. I sipped the warm caffeine as I looked out at the city of New York below me.

    “Just fine.” I hummed, taking another drink.

    “Whatever you say.” Peggy’s disbelief showed through in her voice.

    “What‘s that supposed to mean?” I asked, already knowing the answer after I said the words.

    “Meaning you watched the man you love make out with a blond  bimbo and you haven‘t spoken a word about it since it happened.” She said honestly, not hiding her anger and concern.

    “Your closed off and never go anywhere-”

    “Are you having me followed, Peggy?” I stopped her mid sentence while looking down at the streets more intently. I caught two gentlemen looking up at me but they quickly scurried away when I noticed them

    “And your not calling anymore.” Peggy stated.

    “I‘m just worried about you.” She finished with a sigh and I couldn’t help but laugh.

    “Were at war with a crazy psychopath with a weird fleshless face that weilds glowing and highly explosive ammo and your worried about me? Something‘s wrong with this picture.” I tried to joke but the concern seeping from Peggy’s end of the line caused my short laugh to go even shorter.

    “Lana.” Her voice was stern and I let out a sigh I didn’t know needed released.

    “How is he?” I asked delicately, soothing my heart to try and stop the ache.

    “He does his job, that‘s about it. He literally does nothing else. He‘s sorry, you know.” I pressed my forehead against the cool window and let out another sigh.

    “I know he is.” I mumbled.

    “Then come back, see him. It‘ll make him, and you, feel better.” Shaking my head, I remembered that she couldn’t see me.

    “I don‘t know.” I said uncertain.

    “Please?” She begged. I could feel her deepening concern for us both.

    I gave it a few seconds thought. I really did miss him. I missed going out every night and always finding something new to do. I missed his smile and laugh. The way he walked and even his hair. And those kisses-

    “Alright. I‘ll be there in a few hours.” I gave in and Peggy’s concern turned to relief.

    “This really will help you both.” I pushed myself off the window and headed towards my bedroom.

    “We‘ll see.” I sighed, giving a hasty goodbye before hanging up and hopping in the shower.

    After I was all clean, I dried my hair the best I could and pulled it up in a messy bun. Next was to get dressed and I picked out my favorite baby blue button down shirt with a pair of tight dark brown pants. Tucking the shirt into the pants, I slipped on my knee high boots and threw on a blazer overtop of my shirt.

    Just as I was putting on a light layer of lipstick, the doorbell to my apartment rang loud. I rose an eyebrow as I walked to the door. Maybe Peggy had sent someone to come pick me up? But just as I got to the door, I finally felt the people’s true purpose.

    By the time I bolted from the door, three huge men had busted down my door and were rushing in. I had just gotten the window that lead to the fire escape open when I felt two pairs of arms around my middle, pulling my back inside. I took a deep breath to scream but it was halted by one of the two’s gloved hands.

    Quickly the window got shut and I was dragged back to the middle of my living room, face to face with the last person I wanted to see.

    “Your one of Eskrine‘s experiments as well, aren‘t you?” Schmidt stated more than asked as he leaned towards me, touching a piece of hair that had fallen from my bun. I’m sure my hair was a mess.

    “I know you have special abilities. I want them.” He grinned evilly as he moved his hand down towards my neck.

    My fight or flight kicked in fast as I bit down hard on the gloved man’s hand and kicked back my heel into his left ankle. I had felt around with my powers and found the man had recently just healed a broken ankle. The holder yelped loudly in pain and released me, giving me enough time to slip around all the men and bolt from the apartment.

    “Get her!” I heard Schmidt yell, and footsteps come barreling behind me as I leaped down the three flights of steps to the ground floor.

    “After her!” He shouted again when I pushed my whole weight into the front door of the complex, ripping it wide open.

    I quickly hung a left and continued to run, ignoring the odd looks I was getting as I did so. I knew the way to the secret hide out here in the city and I knew that if I could get there, I’d at least have back up.

    My legs protested painfully after fifteen minutes of full on sprinting but I was still to scared to stop. I ran and cut as many corners as I could, hoping I’d throw them off my tail. I hadn’t seen the men or Schmidt since I left the apartment so the next shop I ran across, I threw myself inside, shutting the door behind me.

    It ended up being a general store, and completely empty. Of course, at this time everyone was in school or at work. The elderly man was wiping down the counter when I burst in and he watched me catch my breath.

    “Can I use your phone?” I asked after I could breath a little more normally.

    Without a word, he shuffled the phone in front of me, slid me a glass of water and stepped into the back of the store. I thanked him as he walked away and gulped down the glass before dialing the ridiculously long number to the underground base and, more specifically, Colonel Phillip‘s desk phone.

    “Hello?” I’d never been so happy to hear Colonel Phillip’s voice in my life. Without a second thought to tell him who it was, or anything, I blurted out my words hastily.

    “Colonel, Schmidt‘s in the city!”

    “Miss. Graham?” He asked, sounding shocked.

    “Is that Lana?” The voice in the background made my already sore body go weak.

    Steve

    I shook my head and tried to focus, checking out the windows at the front of the store, seeing the coast still clear and no Schmidt in sight.

    “Please, he‘s in the city and he attacked me at my apartment-” I started ranting, pacing as much as I could with the corded phone. My nerves were starting to get to me.

    “I‘m sending Captain Rogers-” The Colonel started but I interrupted him.

    “He won‘t make it in time. I‘m bringing him to you.” I stated, steeling myself. I had to get myself under control or Schmidt would catch me.

    There was several loud explosions of glass as two of the men busted through the two big windows in the front.

    “Lana?!” There was Steve’s voice again on the other side and I let the phone slip from my hand as I started towards the back store room that I knew had a back entrance.

    Standing in the doorway of the back room was the third huge man, cutting my off from my escape. My powers inched over every crevice of the general store, there was no other way out.

    “No where to run, my pet.” I whirled to face Schmidt as he walked through the front door calmly, stepping on glass as he advanced towards me.

    “Like hell I‘m your pet.” I said angrily, focusing my powers.

    I gripped everything I could in the store with my mind and, all at once, exploded hundreds of snack bags, glass bottles of pop, everything I could cause a huge scene with. While they were all dunking from the explosions, I turned to the single man that was blocking the back way and, with a lot of mind power, flung him across the room. He made a loud grunt before collapsing in a heap.

    “After her!” Schmidt ordered as they made their way through the mess.

    I was out a back alley and back on the main street in no time. This time, I could hear their thundering footsteps of chase, making my already exhausted legs weak with fear. Just as I tried to comfort myself, I made a wrong  turn and ended up in a dead end alley.

    “Shit!” I cursed, looking for a place to hide or climb.

    There was a dumpster that was piled high with trash and then a ladder about 15 feet off the ground, 5 feet from the dumpster. Climbing ontop of the dumpster, I took a deep breath just before I made the leap, hoping I’d catch a wrung.

    When my hands met metal, I clambered up the rickety ladder and flung myself on the roof just as footsteps came rushing into the now empty alley.

    “Where‘d she go?” One of the men asked.

    “She can‘t be far, fan out.” Another one said.

    I kept my head low and out of sight as I listened to their movements below.

    “Found you.” The whisper in my ear made me jump to my feet, leaping away from Schmidt as he reached out a powerful hand to grab me.

    “Don‘t let her get away!” He yelled when I slipped just out of his grip and took off running across the rooftops.

    Luckily, New York was notorious for putting boards up to join rooftops. As I ran, I ran my powers along the buildings, knowing one of them had to be the way into the hideout. When I determinded it was only three houses down, my legs pumped harder as I ran.

    What I didn’t take into consideration was how far away the building I needed in was from the one I was standing on. And it had no boards leading to it. I stopped on the ledge and looked at my only hope. A completely jammed shut window that was just below where I was standing. If I jumped just right-

    I took one final leap, straight into the window of the abandoned building. The glass exploded and showered over me, slicing me everywhere.

    I got to my feet quickly and took off towards the steps. Taking them down two at a time, I hit the ground floor in a matter of seconds and reached the middle of the room with a trap door in it.

    I yanked it open and threw myself down into the hole, slamming it shut with my weight. I held onto the leather teather that closed the door tightly, dangling. I had forgotten that his particular trap door was in the ceiling of the hideout, suspending me a good 10 feet from the ground. My arms ached, just like my whole body did as I tried to calm down from my near capture.

    I could hear the shouts of people underneath me but, my mind couldn’t wrap around anything as I gasped for breath.

    “Lana!” Getting jerked from my thoughts, I looked down as much as I could at the blue eyed Captain I missed so much.

    “He‘s up there.” I said, still breathless.

    “Let go.” Steve said, holding out his arms.

    “I‘ll catch you.” At those words, it wouldn’t even have mattered if he was there to catch me or not.

    My fingers slipped quickly and I let my body fall, landing straight into Steve’s arms. He cradled me bridal style and looked me over.

    “Jesus Lana.” He breathed, sounding concerned and fearful at the same time.

    “He‘s up there, Steve, Schmidt‘s here.” Grabbing a fistful of his uniform, I met his eyes for the first time in- well I’d lost count how many painful days had passed.

    “The Colonel‘s handling it.” He said, looking over my face.

    “No, you need to-” Steve stopped me short with his comment.

    “I need to be here with you.”

    “He‘ll get him.” Steve reasoned, not talking anymore as he pushed through the crows that had formed and carried me all the way to the small medical area the base had.

    When Steve set me on a cot, the doctor immediately check my cuts and started pulling out shards of glass before my enhanced healing tried to heal the glass still into my body. Steve pulled a chair as close to me as he possibly could without getting in the doctor’s way. His laced hands were pressed against his lips as he watched me. I tried hard not to show the pain.

    “Lana?!” Peggy’s british accent shouted my name as she raced over. When she finally reached me, she scooped up both of my hands in hers, totally ignoring the working doctor.

    “What the hell happened?!” She asked, looking me over then moving out of the way when the doctor asked her politely to move.

    “Where‘s Schmidt?” I asked, not being able to catch my hiss of pain before it came out when the doctor pulled out a particularly large piece.

    “He got away. But we got a few of his men.” I nodded, catching Steve tense up in his chair.

    “Dammit.” Steve growled. He threw himself from the chair and began pacing.

    He waited till I was all bandaged up and given the ok to lay down before he spoke again. He asked that everyone leave and with a promise to come visit me later, Peggy was gone.

    “Steve.” I said quietly as he ran both of his hands through his already messy hair.

    “Steve Rogers.” I spoke louder, finally catching the man’s attention.

    “Sit. Down.” I all but ordered, patting the open stop at my feet.

    Steve sat down softly but slumped when he finally got sat down. It looked like he had just been through the hardest fight of his life.

    “Quit trying to get yourself killed.” He said suddenly, looking straight ahead.

    “Quit being a two timing jerk.” I countered, watching him.

    “Lana that was an acc-” I sat up, touching his arm with my hand. His blue eyes pierced mine again and I leaned my forehead in his arm.

    “I know, I‘m sorry.” I sighed, hugging his arm.

    “Me too.” He said, pressing his lips to my hair.

    “Your still a jerk.” I mumbled and continued before he could interrupt me.

    “You never tried to come after me.” I whispered, letting the hurt I had been feeling flow into my words.

    “Believe me, I tried.” He pulled me away from him and situated himself so he was facing me.

    “You have no clue how many times I walked right up to your apartment door and almost knocked. How many times I tried to dial you number so I could hear your voice. Even if you yelled and hung up on me, or slammed a door in my face. It would have been better than not hearing your voice or seeing you at all.” He admitted, cupping my face in his hands.

    “Steve-” I breathed

    “No, Lana. I should have come to you sooner.” Steve leaned forward, touching his forhead to mine.

    There was a deep warmth in his heart. Him being here with me was the most content, happy and pleased he’d been since the incident. Slowly, his pain edged away as he looked in my eyes.

    “I want to make this work.” He said, moving slowly towards my lips.

    I welcomed it happily, feeling the same warmth in my heart grow tenfold. I loved this man. And I didn’t have to have special powers to tell he felt the same.

    “I don‘t think I love you anymore.” Steve moved from my lips, still keeping me close. His thumb ran along my hair line, ear and down my chin as he stared into my emerald gem eyes.

    “I know I love you, Lana.”

    I met his closing in lips again in a more passionate, loving kiss. The joy I felt rocked through my whole body. And I hoped our kiss told him the same thing I felt for him.

    I love you too Steve

AWWW :3 How cuteeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Please vote, rate and comment!!!