The transformation

Hey Captain America lovers!! Thanks a bunch for stumbling onto this! I sure hope you love it as much as I do! This is the transformation chapter!! :) I've been so writer happy lately that I've got the next few chapters done. That's a really good thing too because I start college this coming Monday! Wish me luck!!... MY BIRTHDAY IS TOMORROW TOO!!!!!!!! :D

DISCLAIMER: I only own Lana Graham, and my own twist on the story. Everything else goes to their respectable people!

Happy Reading!!!

“Faster ladies, come on, my grandmother has more life in her. God rest her soul.” I smiled widely at Agent Carter as she was in charge of working with the recruits for the day.

    She had them on their faces in the dirt, doing push ups. All of the men seemed to be doing well, all except Steve. He barely got one push up by the time the guys around him did 5.

    “Move it!” my gaze moved to Peggy for a moment before going back to Steve. He had yet to even make eye contact with me.

    “Your not seriously thinking about picking Rogers, are you?” My back straightened at the sound of Colonel Phillips voice.

    “I’m more than just thinking about it. He is a clear choice.” Dr.Erskine’s German accent came next and I hopped out of the jeep I had been lounging in close to the recruits.

    “You brought a 90 pound ass manaconda onto my army base, I let it slide. I thought ’What the hell? Maybe he could be useful to you, like a gerbil?’ Never thought you’d pick him.” The two men rounded around a supply truck and faced the recruits.

    Colonel Phillips looked angry. Of course, he always looked angry. Abraham looked cool as a cucumber, with a twinge of agitation.

    My eyes moved back to the recruits as Peggy started having them do jumping jacks. I could tell Steve was having trouble breathing. I almost moved to pull him out when something fell to the ground in front of Hodge.

    “Grenade!” Colonel Phillips yelled.

    Time froze for two seconds before flight mode kicked in and everyone was running. Most of the recruits ran away from the grenade, hiding behind jeeps and trucks. Peggy and I rushed towards the small bomb and I reached out with my powers to defuse it when I realized it was a dud, a dummy grenade..

    But Steve didn’t know that when he threw his small weight over it, shielding it with his body.

    “Get back!” He yelled, eyes squinted shut and curled into a ball over it. I stood their, shocked and pleased at Steve’s actions. A smile started to form on my lips, as it did on Abraham’s. He was thoroughly pleased with his reactions as well.

    “Is this a test?” Steve asked as he sat up from the ground and someone called out that it was a dummy grenade. I laughed once, gaining the attention from everyone around us. I smiled at Steve when his eyes finally met mine. He gave an awkward one back.

    The rest of the day was spent as normal. Lounging with my feet hanging out of the back of a jeep as the recruits worked till the dinner bell rang and they all but dragged their sore bodies back to their barracks.

    Only tonight, they decided not to go straight to bed and just hang out outside, enjoying the weather.

    “If your trying to sneak into my bed, good looking, I‘m not in their!” I heard Hodge yell out as I neared the front door of their barracks. The men weren’t sitting far from the entrance, all formed in a circle around a fire. I stopped mid way to opening the door to look at Hodge. They all had their bags packed beside them and helmets off, waiting for transport no doubt.

    “I don‘t sneak into bed with men with an IQ of a dead fish and I‘m not about to start, Good day gentlemen.” I said sourly as I opened the door roughly, hearing the rest of the guys around him shout and laugh ‘Ohh! She got you good!’

    “Maim.” I frowned for a moment, thinking we got past that but put the smile back on my face.

    “I thought you might be here.” I walked past a few rolled up beds before reaching Steve’s. The room was bare all except for Steve’s bed locker and his books laying on top.

    “What are you doing here?” He asked, his eyes falling to my green button down shirt before catching my eye again.

    “I came to bring you back this.” I pulled the book from the crock of my arm and handed it out to him. Steve took it from my hands.

    “I didn’t even realize I forgot it.” He said quietly, touching the cover.

    “Don’t worry about it.” I waved my hand in front of my face, flipping over the mattress in front of him so I could face him. The bed creaked under my weight and felt lumpy.

    “And I came to tell you that Abraham has picked you for his experiment.” His eyes shot from the book cover to look at me. His eyes were wide and mouth half hanging open. I couldn’t help the smile that grew on my face.

    “Really?”

    “Here’s your chance, don’t mess it up.” I joked, tapping his knee with my fingers. When he didn’t crack a smile, I laughed once.

    “Congratulations Steve Rogers.” I said, leaning back to look at him. He smiled awkwardly again.

    “Uh, thanks.” He set the book I gave back to him on top of the others on his bed locker. We were silent for a few minutes.

    “And about the other night, I’m sorry about all of that.” My eyes snapped to his face but his eyes were on the hard wood floor under us.

    “All of what?” I asked, puzzled. A deep blush ran across his cheeks and a small smile tugged at my face.

    “Nevermind.” He stuttered, rubbing the back of his neck. I rose from my makeshift seat and placed a hand on his shoulder.

    “No food or fluids the rest of the night. Abraham wants an empty stomach incase you decide to puke.” That got a chuckle out of him and I felt a part of me jump in excitement. I moved around his bed and headed towards the door.

    “Lana.” I stopped in my tracks but didn’t make a move to face him. I couldn’t let him see how excited I was that he actually used my name.

    “Thanks. For everything.” After taking a deep breath, I faced Steve. He had risen from his bed to face me.

    “I’ll see you tomorrow, Steve. Tomorrow’s a new day.” I said quietly, I opened the door and walked out quickly, resting my back against the door.

    I was glad that Hodge and the rest of the recruits had already been snatched up and shipped to god knows where. I didn’t want them to see the huge grin on my face.

~ ~ ~

    “I know this neighborhood. I got beat up in that alley.” I tried not to laugh as Steve pointed out different spots that he’d been beat up at. It wasn’t funny at all that he’d been picked on, but just how open he talked about it was comical.

    “Hey, don’t laugh!” Steve saw me fighting my grin and after he said that I couldn’t help myself.

    “I-I’m sorry, it’s not funny.” I said, trying to calm my giggles. A smile finally came onto his face as he lounged back into the seat.

    We were heading for Abraham’s lab in the back of a town car. The driver didn’t say a word to us as he and his buddy in the passenger seat took off. That left Steve and I in the backseat.

    “So Steve, have you had any girlfriends?” My question caught him off guard as he glanced at me. Finally, he tucked his head low and looked at his hands.

    “No maim, ladies aren’t exactly lining up to dance with the guy they might step on.” he answered truthfully.

    “You haven’t danced?” I asked.

    “I figured I’d save my first dance.” He answered, looking out the window at the still passing buildings.

    “For what?” I inquired, tilting my head to the side.

    “The right partner.” I faced forward at his answer and smiled to myself.

    Just as we finished our conversation, we pulled up to the secret place.

    “What are we doing here?” Steve asked.

    “Come on.” I said, smiling as I got out of the car and by the time I walked around, Steve was putting on his hat, glancing up at the sign above the shop.

    I opened the door to the antique shop and immediately I started feeling all of the old objects around me. They all had a story to tell and I could sit in this shop all day and almost have a conversation with the pieces.

    “Wonderful weather this morning, isn‘t it?” An elderly lady asked from behind a curtain. I smiled warmly at her.

    “Yes, but I always carry an umbrella.” I answered and the woman smiled at me before walking around the counter and pushing a button under it.

    I lead Steve to the back and stopped in front of a large bookcase. Just as he was about to say something, the bookcases swung outward, showing off an entirely different room made of concrete and steel. I walked through the doors just as they were shutting and Steve quickly followed.

    We went straight past the greeting desk, through a doorway towards a set of double doors. Only a few people were in the hall and the ones that were stared at Steve. I kept my eyes ahead at the doors and just as we neared them, two military policemen opened the doors to the other room.

    When we got inside and looked over the banister, the whole room grew silent. A large pod sat in the very middle of the room with a ring of computers and technology around it. Scientists in white lab coats stopped in their tracks to stare up at the small man beside me. I caught Abraham’s eyes and he smiled at me. I smiled back and turned to Steve, giving his arm a squeeze.

    He tore his gaze from below to look at me. I motioned with my head for him to follow me and we walked down the stairs to the ground level. Just as I hit the first step down, everyone started moving again.

    Abraham shook Steve’s hand and told him good morning. A camera flash  blinked brightly beside them, blinding me for a moment. Abraham shooed the government reporter away. I watched Steve as he looked at the pod.

    “Are you ready?” Abraham asked, glancing at me before giving Steve his full attention. All the man did was nod.

    “Good. Take off your shirt, tie and hat.” He said and Steve complied, handing his clothes off to a waiting nurse. I turned around and glanced at the walls. Not that I hadn’t seen a man without his shirt on. Men ran around base all the time with no shirts on. But I knew Steve was self conscious about himself so I gave him his privacy.

    When he stretched out on the padded back of the pod, I turned to face him, taking up refuge beside Abraham.

    “Comfortable?” Abraham asked, looking over the squirming man.

    “It‘s a little big.” Steve joked, making us both smile.

    “Did you save me any of that schnaps?” Steve asked and I knew exactly what he was talking about. Abraham appreciated a good liquor every now and then.

    “Not as much as I should have. Sorry. Next time.” He said, shrugging his shoulders. Steve looked over at me and I gave him a reassuring smile, coaxing a smile out of him.

    “Mr. Stark, how are the levels?” Abraham asked and I didn’t even turn to look at the millionaire.

    “Levels at 100.. Well, hello beautiful.” His faced popped into my view and I took a step back. The handsome man gave me a once over and smiled a broad pearly white grin at me.

    “Howard Stark.” he stuck his hand out to me but before I could even offer mine, he took up my hand and gave my knuckles a kiss, winking at me.

    “Not interested.” I answered, making Steve on the pod snort out a laugh. The smile seemed to grow on Howard’s face. I pulled my hand away slowly and he let me.

    “Dr. Erskine, you didn’t tell me you keep beautiful assistants as well.” His eyes never left mine.

    “Focus, Stark.”

    “We may dim half the lights in Brooklyn, but we are ready. As we‘ll ever be.” He said, turning to face Steve. At the last part, Steve looked worriedly at him. 

    Abraham walked up to me and I put my hand up. He stopped and smiled at me.

    “You not shoving me in that booth, Abraham. I’m staying right here.” I said finally, leaving no room for argument. He put his hands up defensively and nodded, grabbing a mic to talk to the people in the booth.

     “Did you have to go through this?” I looked down at Steve and squeezed his hand. He returned the pressure, taking a deep breath.

    “All of my injections were straight into my brain. So I think it’s safe to say you won’t have it as bad.” He chuckled, smiling softly at me as nurses and doctors started moving plates over his chest and attaching viles to the machine.

    A nurse came over and stuck him in the arm with some medicine.

    “That wasn’t so bad.” Steve said, sounding relieved.

    “That was penicillin.” I answered, giving his hand another squeeze at the look of terror on his face.

    “Serum infusion in 5.” Abraham started counting down and his hand seemed to squeeze mine harder. I put my other hand on top of his and rubbed, trying to sooth the scared man the best I could.

    When the injections finally came, I could feel it fly through his body, race through his veins and catch his muscles on fire. His face contorted with pain and I felt my heart start to ache.

    Howard started the vita ray process and Steve was stood upright and the pod began to close. When I finally had to let his hand go, he reached out slightly for mine before tucking it in just as the doors were closing. I took a step forward and onto the pod, tapping the glass.

    “How are you?” I asked, taping the glass again after not getting a response.

    “It’s probably too late to go to the bathroom, right?” I laughed and touched the pod, turning to Abraham.

    “He’s ready.”

    “We will proceed.” Abraham said, giving Howard the ok to continue. He turned on the vita rays and began increasing the power. The light grew brighter with every millimeter he moved the large dial.

    Just as Howard’s machine reached 70%, Steve’s first screams of pain sounded. I jumped forward onto the step ladder and tried to peer inside the bright capsule.

    “Steve!” I screamed, banging my hand on the glass. My heart started racing and I looked around for a way to get him out. Didn’t they make it with an emergency opening.

    “Get him out!” I heard Peggy yell from the top of the stairs.

    “Steve!” I yelled again, hitting the pod harder when all I got was screaming

    “No! Don’t! I can do this!” Everyone seemed to move faster. Howard quickly brought it to 80%

    90%

    And at 100%, everything started sparking. Machines started exploding as the pod pulsed with power. The last thing to go dark was the pod. I looked at Abraham, biting my thumb nail nervously.

    “Mr. Stark!”

    Just as the doors on the pod opened, I noticed that where his head had been before, his chest was now at. And he completely filled the pod. Rock hard muscles and abs shined with sweat and he breathed heavily, resting his head back on the pad.

    Abraham and I got on either side of Steve and helped him from the pod. He basically collapsed out of it, stumbling down the step ladder.

    “We did it.” Steve said breathless. I smiled.

    “We did it.” Abraham said back, a smile of his own on his face.

    “How do you feel?” I asked as Peggy stepped beside me. I moved my hand and realized I’d been touching his abs. I quickly moved my hands and took a small step back, but not too far just incase he decided to fall over.

    “Taller” He said, still trying to catch his breath. I laughed at Steve, making him look down at me. This was a new revelation. Now he had to look down at me, seeing as my forehead came to his shoulders. He showed me a small smile, which I returned and offered him a shirt I grabbed from a drooling nurse.

    His body had changed and grew double his size but those eyes stayed the same. It firmed the belief in me that we’d made the right choice for the Allies super soldier.

Do I see a crush forming? :3 I believe so! Keep reading for more goodies!!