Out of the frying pan and into the hot seat

This is early due to hitting 100 more readers on my Pacific Rim story :) So please enjoy!!! :D

DISCLAIMER: I only own Lana Graham and my own twist on the Captian America movie :) 

I didn’t know how long I sat there before I sprang to my feet, ripping open the tent entrance to see Steve no where in sight. I couldn’t feel his presence anywhere in the camp so I knew he’d already left.

    There was no way I was letting him go into Schmidt’s base on his own.

    With a steeled resolve and a split second decision, I took off towards my own tent. There wasn’t much there, just a bed and a chest for my clothes and personal items.

    Opening the chest, I pulled out all the clothes first, setting them on my bed. With a soft push on the bottom of the chest, it popped open to reveal another compartment. It held all my personal weapons.

    I clipped the holster around my hips, sticking a pistol in each slot. On each side of the guns were small pouches that held my extra rounds. I pulled out a leg sheath and strapped it to my leg, sliding in the matching deadly knife. My boots already had slots that held sharp blades.

    As I slipped on my own leather jacket, I snatched a rifle and a few rounds that were laying on a container close to an unattended motorcycle. It was old and beaten up, with several discolored circle patches. On each side were packs, the right holding even more ammunition and grenades while the left was a waterproof pouch for documents. I unclipped the paper pouch, seeing papers inside, and set it where the rifle was laying. I fired the bike to life when I felting my mind wrap around every greased bolt.

    I kicked up mud and gravel as I flied out the closest gate before anyone could stop me. If people shouted at me to come back, I couldn’t hear them over the roaring of the engine. The old piece of machinery flew down the trail as I waited for my senses to pull me in the direction of the base.

    Just seconds after thinking it, I hung a sharp left and braked down a steep slope. The twenty miles west to the base was easy enough on a bike. I couldn’t help worrying about Steve and if he was getting himself to the base safely.

    Before I knew it, night fell and I had no choice but to turn on the headlight and take longer routes to avoid mud slides. I was traversing a particularly hard slope top when the first bomb exploded. It scared me so badly my grip on the handlebars slipped and it went skidding into the mud.

    “Just great.” I huffed, shouldering the rifle and trecking the rest of the way on foot.

    I didn’t even try to hide my footsteps because of the booming explosion of overhead bombs and bullets. I could feel the base getting closer as I walked blindly. Shells from ammo rained down from above sporadically so I had to run from tree trunk to tree trunk, gaining the most cover from the hot metal.

    Finally, light peeked through the trees. A few more tree skips later and I was one tree trunk from Schmidt’s front gate. I took a few minutes to scan the border for the Captain’s signature red, white and blue colors. He was either inside, causing hushed chaos or he hadn’t gotten there yet.

    I waited till two masked guards walked casually past my portion of the gate before taking off in a dead sprint towards the chain link fence. My senses reached out to the fence and it unraveled as I skid through the mud, making just enough room to fit myself through before sealing it up. The whole ordeal lasted five seconds and another patrol group that was passing by didn’t even see me slide under a tarp.

    Waiting again till the footsteps receded, I moved from my hiding spot to get a better look of the area. With no other scouting troops around, I jumped on top of a crate and hopped to the main building. After some more scouting, I reached a second story window that I easily lifted myself into just before a spotlight fell along the wall.

    I looked around the room and saw nothing of interest. It looked like a storage area for equipment that glowed. The glowing triggered a memory of the ship Schmidt’s agent used to try to get away. I picked up one of the items that looked like an ammo clip and my mind was flooded with glowing blue and bloody tired hands.

    “Why hello my beauty.”

    I gasped, dropping the clip on the ground while turning on my heels.

    “Who are you?” I took a step back, bumping my back into the table.

    The man took a step towards me and into the light of the room. His brown hair was swept away from his thin face. His mouth held a permanent scowl but his eyes showed amusement as he scanned me extensively from head to toe.

    “Shouldn‘t I be the one asking? Since you’re the one breaking into my facility?” When he finished, he snapped his eyes to mine and it took less than a heartbeat to realize who was standing in front of me.

    “Schmidt.” I said, flexing my hands and ready to snatch one of my blades if necessary.

    “And you are?” Schmidt said smoothly, moving quickly around the table in front of me and stalking towards me.

    I reached down and grabbed both of the knifes, throwing one at Schmidt while I kept the other in my hand as a defensive.

    “Stay back.” I said calmly, but on the inside, my heard was going 80 miles an hour and I was suppressing the need for my whole body to shake.

    “I‘m not going to hurt you, my dear.” The sincerity would have been believable if he hadn’t held his cold mask of a face.

    “I said, stay back.” I repeated, moving away from him and towards the door.

    “Do you think I‘m scared of you? A meer woman.” He laughed lightly at the end of his sentence, like it was a joke.

    “You should be.” I challenged, holding my ground when I saw Schmidt start to make his move.

    At the very last second, I threw the knife I had and bolted for the door, jumping a table. Just as I reached the door, two extremely tall and heavily armed masked men stepped in my way. I took a tentative step backwards and before my powers could seep into them to learn their weaknesses, I felt a hand wind it’s way into my hair, yanking me back hard.

    “Just the quality I like in a woman.” I felt Schmidt’s breath on my neck and it sent disgusting chills down my spine.

    “Let me go!” I screeched, trying to get my hand wrapped around his wrist so I could try and remove his hand.

    “Take her to the control room.” His grip loosened in my hair and he threw me at the men at the door. I immediately struggled to wrench my arms from their vice grips.

    “Knock her out if you have to.” I grew rigid at his comment.

    Being unconscious behind enemy lines was the worse thing that could happen. Not only did you not know what was happening to you but you had no clue where you were at. And also, being a woman added to that problem even more.

    “That‘s a good girl, I‘ll see you soon.” Schmidt leaned forward and touched a piece of my hair.

    I ripped my head away from him, glaring hard as he grinned coldly. With a simple hand movement, I was dismissed from his presence and the two men half dragged me to the ‘control room’.

    They threw me into one of the seats in the room and left to stand by the door. I looked around the off white room and all the controls. Just as I straightened to look at some of the moniters, I heard footsteps approaching. I didn’t need my powers to know who it was.

    “Are you going to tell me your name?” I stayed facing away from Schmidt.

    “Ignoring me, are you? That‘s very rude.” I felt him grab the back of the chair and turn it around roughly, the metal screeching loudly on the cement floor.

    I held in my gasp and bit my tongue as he lowered himself to my height, bending his back and gripping the arm rests.

    “Tell me why you’re here then.” He locked gazes with me. His dark eyes held absolutely no emotion.

    “And what you were doing in my armory?” I rose an eyebrow at him, boldly crossing my arms over my chest as I stared at him right back.

    “So those were ammo clips.” I commented, causing the man to lean back slightly.

    I gave the man a once over with my powers, trying to feel out any weaknesses. But of course I couldn’t find any. Erskine’s serum had been designed to make the person physically flawless.

    “Are you alone?” I focused back on Schmidt’s face. It’s a shame the serum didn’t fix people’s looks.

    “Is there anyone else?” Schmidt tried again, the calming in his voice gaining an irritated edge. Good. An angry person was easier to take on than a totally calm person.

    “IS THERE ANYONE ELSE?!” He roared, gripping the metal arm rests in his strong grip and crushed them easily.

    I yelped when he ripped them off my chair and threw them across the room, hitting a monitor and causing sparks to fly everywhere.

    “What‘s going on?!” A small man wearing circle rimmed glasses exclaimed, hobbling into the room. He wore a white lab coat and was setting down a clip board, advancing on Schmidt and I.

    “This fiesty young woman has found her way into our humble abode.” Schmidt’s voice was back to calm as he fixed his slightly disheveled hair.

    Just as he was about to turn back to me, there was a loud explosion and gun shots. Schmidt and the little man ran to the little monitor’s I was trying to look at earlier. I restraightened and saw that a roit had started. The prisoner’s had somehow gotten out and were attacking the base.

    “What‘s happening?” The man asked, and I almost rolled my eyes at the stupid question.

    “No! What are you doing?!” Just then I noticed that Schmidt was moving covers off red buttons and hitting them, triggering timers.

    My stomach sunk to me feet when I realized that he’d rigged the whole place to blow. We had seven minutes to get out of here before the whole place went up in classic nuke explosion style.

    “Our forces are outmatched.” For a man who’s facility was being overrun and had just triggered the explosions, Schmidt remained eerily calm.

    His gloved hand pointed at the little screen and I saw the flash of someone fighting. That someone was carrying a star spangled banner shield and I immediately knew who it was.

    “Come with me, my sweet.” Before I could say anything, Schmidt gripped my upper arm with an iron clasp and half dragged me out the door and down a corridor.

    “Let me go, you selfish animal!” I yelled, trying to push away from him.

    “I have a small pit stop to make before we make our leave.” I knew my fighting was useless but that didn’t mean I gave up. I had no choice but to follow the evil man to wherever he dragged me.

    We ended up in a large open room, with a large mechanical part in the middle of the room. On top was a handle, which Schmidt turned and pulled out, bringing a brightly lit cube with it.

    “The glowing blue.” I mumbled quietly, itching to touch it but Schmidt put it in a tube and locked it in place. Grabbing the secured object, he started pulling me out of the room.

    “This is what ultimate power looks like, dear girl.” He said, gently gesturing to the consealed glowing cube.

    “Now let‘s go.” We’d gone up a flight of metal stairs until we reached a landing and a metal sliding door. At the door stood the short doctor with the round glasses. He clutched his breifcase tightly and his jacket was still half on his shoulders.

    The first explosion came from the far part of the facility, rocking me on my feet and nearly knocking me down. To my disgust, Schmidt wrapped an arm around my middle and pulled me tight against him. I tried once again to free myself from him but to no anvil.

    “Captain America!” I felt and heard Schmidt yell across the way. My eyes snapped up and in the direction that Schmidt was looking.

    “Steve!” I yelled, relieved and excited to see the man wearing the star spangled colors.

    “Lana?!” Steve gripped the railing, both shocked and angry that I was in Schmidt’s unrelenting grasp.

    “What a beautiful na-” A cold chill ran down my back when Schmidt moved his mouth close to my ear.

    He was way to close for my comfort. With a yelp of pain, Schmidt released me completely when I stomped the heel of the boot on his toes. I guess even super soldiers have sensitive feet. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it sooner.

    “Grab her!” Schmidt yelled at the small man but I dodged past him quickly and made for the cat walk. As I got towards the middle, Schmidt must have pulled a lever because it started retracting back. I grabbed the railing to steady myself and Steve stood on the other side.

    “Lana!” When Steve held his arms open, I didn’t hesitate to jump over the growing gap and into his awaiting arms. Wrapping my arms around his middle, I held on for dear life as the bridge retracted the rest of the way and we stepped onto the mostly stable walkway.

    His strong arms and familiar scent filled me with comfort and when I pulled myself back slightly, I was ready to see his handsome face. Granted, I could feel the anger and concern growing inside him, I still looked up at him.

    Steve’s bright eyes were glued to me, checking me over for any injuries. I steadied his gaze with a slight touch to his cheek and flashed him a slight smile. The anger lessened slightly in his gaze and he looked almost relieved.

    “Your woman is quite a fiery one, Captain. I’ve taken a liking to her.” He pulled me close to his side again at the sound of Schmidt’s voice.

    “Go to hell!” I screamed over another explosion. I heard someone chuckle beside Steve and I. I felt Steve’s familiarity with the man so I knew it had to be Bucky.

    “Even though she does not know her place in the face of a man with power such as mine.” Schmidt growled angrily, setting his gaze once again on me.

    “No matter what lies Erskine told you, you see I was his greatest success!” Schmidt grabbed a piece of his cheek and pulled it. What I wasn’t expecting was for him to rip his very skin off, revealing his true face.

    He had no nose, deep eye sockets and flaming red skin. His evilness rolled off him even more now that his true face was exposed.

    “You don‘t have one of those, do you?” I heard Bucky ask shakily.

    “You are deluted, Captain. You pretend to be a simple soldier but in reality, you are just afraid that we have left humanity behind.” Schmidt talked, tapping a number code in the sliding metal door while the doctor at his side looked up at Schmidt, fear evident in his gaze.

    “Unlike you, I embrace it proudly.” Schmidt said finally, him and the doctor stepping into what looked like an elevator.

    “Then how come your running?” Steve yelled at Schmidt, who only shut the doors and disappeared, for now. I had a strong feeling that this wasn’t the last time I was going to see the evil man.

    “Lana!” I was shaken, literally, from my thoughts by Steve.

    “What are you doing here?” There was the fearful anger I felt the first time I was taken from him, by the thugs in the alley.

    “I came to help, Steve.” I said calmly, trying to defuse a situation I knew was coming.

    “I told you not to!” He nearly yelled in my face. I felt my own anger start to bubble.

    “Steve-” I tried to retaliate but was interrupted by Bucky.

    “Can your lovely couple bickering wait till after we get out of here?”

    “Let‘s get across then.” I said, moving from Steve’s arms and taking a step towards the retracted cat walk. The only lever was on the other side but that didn’t mean that I couldn’t get us across.

I took a deep breath and reached out with my powers, getting the mechanics working and the bridge quickly reconnected. Steve quickly grabbed my hand and pushed Bucky in front of us. Steve’s best friend couldn’t stop staring at me, his mouth hanging open.

    Bucky was a handsome man, with fair skin and dark brown curly hair. His equally dark colored eyes scanned me with shocked interest.

    “What are you?” Bucky asked bluntly, then immediately turned an embarrassed red when I just laughed.

    We made it over the bridge and were now taking the stairs down to the ground level. I could make out an area not yet on fire and it had a exit.

    “A friend.” I answered, hitting the floor and taking off towards the door.

    “Good enough for me.” Bucky said, reaching the door first and opening the door.

    “Let‘s get out of here.” He said, flourishing his hand dramatically. I felt Steve’s grip on my hand tighten and his warm breath on my neck.

    “Don‘t think your out of the hot seat yet.” Steve whispered into my ear and I knew,  I was in for an earful when we got back on American soil.

How was that chapter? :D I hope you enjoyed it, please vote, comment and rate!